Garageband Editing/Fading songs

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by mugsaway, Jan 5, 2009.

1. mugsaway macrumors newbie

OK, I'm pulling my hair out... I've never considered myself a complete idiot around computers, but so far Garageband has been driving me nuts.

I simply want to edit a mp3 in Garageband, i.e. I want to 'cut' 25 seconds out of a song to use in an iDVD presentation.

I can import the song from iTunes in Garageband... but I run into problems after I split the song and delete the parts I don't want, and fade in and out.

When I play the portion of the song, it fades out, then continues to keep 'playing' the rest of the song with no volume (an additional 3 minutes).

I've selected the area I don't want, deleted it, but the track doesn't 'stop' when I need it to... help!!

On top of that, how do you save the file into a format that iDVD recognizes, i.e. NOT in .band format?

(starting to hate my Mac).

Thanks for any help!

-Stu

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

You can't "Save" it as MP3 but you can "Export" it to that format.

3. Ibanez Strummer macrumors member

Up in the timeline at the top there should be a little purple arrow where the song will finish. Drag this back to the place to want the clip to end and it should stop ok. Like the last poster said, you just need to click export instead of save as in order to make an mp3 instead of .band.

4. mugsaway thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

I appreciate the help, thanks!

I don't seem to see the same purple arrow at the beginning to cut out the front end of a track?

5. Ibanez Strummer macrumors member

In what way do you need the front cut down? If you have already cut and faded the start then move the clip back to the very first bar as it will automatically export from there. If you still need to cut then just choose the point you want to start, cut the track with the scissor tool and press a to automate the fades. Then move the clip to the very start, the purple marker to the end and export.

Hopefully this helps. I would post pictures, but uninstalled GB as have logic now and am lacking disk space!

Jamie