GarageBand: Editing Track Regions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by qzotic, Sep 5, 2008.

1. qzotic macrumors newbie

Is it possible to split a track region, give that region a different effect then the original track, then join the edited region with the different effect back to the original track?

2. lord patton macrumors 65816

lord patton

The easiest way would be to split the track, drag the region in question to a new track, and apply whatever effects are desired there.

You cannot apply effects to regions, only to tracks. And I don't think you can save a region as a new, separate audio file.

I'd imagine any full-service DAW could do it, though. I know that Logic can.

BUT WAIT... come to think of it...

Locking a track temporarily saves it, complete with effects and automation curves. If you were to then navigate to the Garageband File in the Finder, right click and choose "Show Package Contents", you'd theoretically be able to find this new "effected" file, drag it into the GarageBand project and do with it what you will. Hmm, let us know if it works.

But unless you need to merge the effected audio back onto the original track for some reason, it's still just easiest to make a new track and split the region off to that.