Garageband: External mic through interface not registering

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by KyotoSkip, Sep 15, 2011.

1. KyotoSkip macrumors newbie

I'm feeding an external mic (Seide PC-ME) through an audio interface (Yamaha GO46) to my MacBook (OS 10.5.8). I've used it many times, but I simply get can't it to work, now.

System Prefs.> Sound Input is set to Firewire GO46

(Pardon me if some terms are a little off, but I'm translating from my Japanese OS. I hope they're understandable.)

Audio MIDI Settings are all set to GO46, volume is all the way up and "mute" is off.

Headphones connected to the same audio interface work fine.

I've restarted and reconnected everything, countless times.

One suspicious thing/hint: Whenever I used to connect the Firewire cable for the audio interface to my Mac (while Garageband is open), two notices used to appear -- one notifying me of the new device and the other notifying me, if I recall correctly, of the mic itself -- whereas now, I only get the first notice and no second notice. Seems the mic isn't being recognized at all.

Thank you for any suggestions!

2. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Zwhaler

In Garageband when you're viewing track info, does the mic show up under the input selection? Make sure you select it and try turning on the monitor which should relay sound coming into the mic through the speakers... if you're not getting anything then there's something wrong with the mic or it isn't communicating with your computer for some other reason.

3. KyotoSkip thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for responding. I'm still using Garageband v.3.0.5, if that makes any difference. Anyway, when looking at track info, I don't see my mic anywhere -- but I don't recall ever having seen my mic appear, even when it was working. You mention the "input section". In my version, "input" only gives me options such as "Channel 1 (mono)" or "Channel 1/2 (stereo)".

(Please remember, I'm translating it all from Japanese, so the actual English may be slightly different.)

I do have my monitor turned on (although I don't recall ever doing that before, actually). I'm listening through headphones, plugged into my audio interface.

Sorry for my poor explanations. Although I've used my set-up quite a bit, by myself, I'm really still a novice at all the technical aspects.

So, it seems likely that my mic (or cable or interface) has up and died on me. And I treat them oh so carefully....:(