Garageband/FastTrack Recording Help!!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by neverthemachine, Jun 14, 2007.

1. neverthemachine macrumors newbie

Hello.

I am having trouble recording with garageband and fast track.

First of all, neither of the two condenser mics I use work with the M-Audio Fast Track. It simply does not pick up a signal on Garageband. I set up the audioinput to be FastTrack, and the output to my headphones, and I get no signal. I raise the input volume and everything and nothing works. The light for the mic doesn't come on. So either FastTrack broke my mic when I first plugged it in, or I am doing something that I can't figure out for the life of me.

The second issue involves me not being able to use my condenser mics to record, but the built in mic of my macbook. Right now I am recording a song and I have 5 tracks for bass, drums, and three rhythm guitars. The sound is excellent, considering they were recorded with the built in mic of the laptop.

Now, the problem arises when I am trying to record lead guitar, or vocals over the previous 5 tracks. I barely get any volume, and I can barely hear what I record now over the previous 5 Tracks. I don't want to lower any of the previous 5 tracks because the volume they are at is perfect right now, and it would defeat the purpose.

Is there anything else I should be doing when recording with the built in mic, or are my problems just representative of not having a working condenser mic?

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

condenser mics need phantom power, which i don't think the fasttrack provides. so either get a new interface, or find a phantom power device (i think i've seen some at FullCompass). oh, or get a dynamic mic like the sm57 or sm7.

3. neverthemachine thread starter macrumors newbie

I understand now about the phantom power. But, do you think that's the real reason to why I can't hear my vocals, or lead guitar now? Because of using the built in laptop mic?

I am going to pick up an SM57, I've been hearing great things about it for a long time. Hope I'll be able to hear my vocals, and leads over the 5 track recording I have now.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

sorry if i was unclear, i was addressing only the first part of your post. regarding the built-in mic issues, i don't know.

it can be a great mic if used with a great pre, is what i've found. at least the newer sm57's, which is all i have left now. used with a cheap pre, you may be disappointed. i'm just saying you should manage your expectations.