Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated GarageBand for Mac, improving compatibility with GarageBand for iOS and Live Loops projects. The update also includes support for Music Memos projects, allowing them to be opened in GarageBand, and it offers support for Logic Remote for iPhone and iPad Pro.

The Music Memos app, designed for musicians and songwriters, was introduced in January alongside a GarageBand for iOS update that brought the Live Loops feature. Live Loops is a new GarageBand interface that lets users create music by tapping on a grid-like arrangement to trigger different looped instruments and samples.

garagebandformac-800x500.jpg

Along with these features, it adds more than 2,600 new Apple Loops and sounds to the app, adding more variety and options for song and music creation. There are also improvements to reliability when downloading content and enhancements to Accessibility.
What's New
- Updates compatibility with GarageBand for iOS and Live Loops projects
- Opens Music Memos projects
- Supports Logic Remote for iPhone and iPad Pro
- Adds over 2,600 new Apple Loops and sounds
- Improved reliability when downloading additional content
- Contains multiple enhancements to Accessibility
In addition to GarageBand, Apple has also released a minor update for MainStage 3, designed to address overall stability and performance issues.

GarageBand can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

MainStage 3 can be downloaded from the App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: GarageBand for Mac Updated With Music Memos Support, 2,600 New Apple Loops and Sounds

Mums

Suspended
Oct 4, 2011
This is great but I've tried opening Music Memos projects in Logic and it's a barely adequate crossover. Hopefully Logic will gain even fuller functionality for Music Memos.

Reactions: rhoydotp

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
I originally ignored this article thinking it was for Logic Pro (yeah, I have yet to buy that and still use GarageBand, so sue me), but something told me to read it and eventually gave it.

Glad I listened; I'll check out those new loops soon.

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
This is great but I've tried opening Music Memos projects in Logic and it's a barely adequate crossover. Hopefully Logic will gain even fuller functionality for Music Memos.
Pro app? Gaining fuller functionality? Pigs will fly...

Reactions: Mums

teslo

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2014
if anyone who uses garageband isn't aware of the logic remote app, do yourself a favor and get it.. what a useful/fun tool.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
Surprised Apple cares about their iLife suite. Back in 2003, this suite was mesmerising. You could do professional stuff on it, like having your own production studio.

I don't see people caring about it now like before. Either people are no longer in producing their own media, or there are $0.99 apps that replaces it.

Reactions: montycat

dearscotty

macrumors newbie
Apr 8, 2016

Apple today updated GarageBand for Mac, improving compatibility with GarageBand for iOS and Live Loops projects. The update also includes support for Music Memos projects, allowing them to be opened in GarageBand, and it offers support for Logic Remote for iPhone and iPad Pro.

The Music Memos app, designed for musicians and songwriters, was introduced in January alongside a GarageBand for iOS update that brought the Live Loops feature. Live Loops is a new GarageBand interface that lets users create music by tapping on a grid-like arrangement to trigger different looped instruments and samples.

garagebandformac-800x500.jpg

Along with these features, it adds more than 2,600 new Apple Loops and sounds to the app, adding more variety and options for song and music creation. There are also improvements to reliability when downloading content and enhancements to Accessibility.In addition to GarageBand, Apple has also released a minor update for MainStage 3, designed to address overall stability and performance issues.

GarageBand can be downloaded from the App Store for $4.99. [Direct Link]

MainStage 3 can be downloaded from the App Store for $29.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: GarageBand for Mac Updated With Music Memos Support, 2,600 New Apple Loops and Sounds
[doublepost=1460172806][/doublepost]Can garageband for mac handle live loops like music memos? seems strange that the computer os can't perform this awesome function. Does anyone have any input on this? I don't have an iPhone or iPad, so it seems I'm SOL.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
Pro app? Gaining fuller functionality? Pigs will fly...

They have added tons of functionality to Logic over the years. Shame some other apps haven't had the same but they obviously have a lot of resources working on Logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.