Garageband for recording voice interviews?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by zen, Oct 22, 2007.

1. zen macrumors 65816

zen

I've only just bought a Mac that can actually run Garageband, so forgive the newbie question!

If I have a mic, and a pre-amp (Griffin iMic), can I use Garageband to record voice?

I know about Wiretap Pro but I can't afford to buy that this week, and I'm recording an interview for a magazine next weekend so need some kind of audio recorder.

If people use Garageband to record songs with instruments and a microphone for voice, can I just plug the mic into the Griffin iMic, open Garageband and start recording?

I haven't actually tried yet as I'm waiting for my mic to arrive. I'll be using a Macbook with the version of Garageband before iLife 08.

2. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

It'll work fine, except for the fact that it's totally overkill. Doing it that way introduces unnecessary complexity. I'd suggest you just use a simple audio recorder program. Here's a random one I just found on version tracker.

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/15329

3. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

Thanks for the link. Yeah, I did think it would be overkill, but the priority this week is to record audio for free. Even that QuickVoice link is shareware (I'll check it out when I get home to my Mac though, thanks for that).

4. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

Well, quicktime can do audio recording, but you may need to have the Quciktime Pro version which costs around $30. It's a universal consensus that it's very lame of Apple to charge for features which clearly are not "pro" features, but rather are features that an OS rightfully should already have. I'm officially not encouraging piracy, HOWEVER, I'll tell you that if you don't search google for a quicktime pro serial number then you won't find it easily.

5. zen thread starter macrumors 65816

zen

I have Quicktime Pro already - I had no idea at all that it can do audio recording from line/mic in! I've only ever used it for video encoding. Thanks, I'll check it out.

6. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist