GarageBand guitar question for iMac 5k

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Japanmac, May 16, 2015.

1. Japanmac macrumors newbie

Japanmac

I am thinking of buying a new iMac 27" 5K
    And as I understand it there is no 3.5mm input or mic jack? (Only headphones jack)

Now I currently use GarageBand with my iPad and connect my guitar via irig2. This works well with the iPad but I really want to get into GarageBand on the iMac 5k when I get it

My question is can I use my existing setup (use irig2) or do I need to buy something that uses a USB port to use GarageBand on the iMac 27" 5K ?

(Irig2 doesn't use USB but 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPad)

Thanks in advance

2. loekf macrumors 6502

loekf

The jack input on the iPhone and iPad has 4 connections vs 3 (left, right, ground) on the regular one. It also connects to a headset and offers some remote control. AFAIK, the 5k model and any modern iMac only has a small mic located at the top back of the housing. So guess you need some USB input like:

https://gigaom.com/2013/02/09/four-ways-to-connect-your-instrument-to-garageband/

3. Japanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Japanmac

4. PsyOpWarlord macrumors 6502

PsyOpWarlord

5. Japanmac thread starter macrumors newbie

Japanmac

Yes I am familiar with the iRig Pro but I was trying not to go that road if I could because I only bought her iRig2 a few months ago and the iRig pro is about 1.5 times the price of the iRig2. But thanks