Garageband hates me

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by akm3, Jan 16, 2011.

1. akm3 macrumors 68020

So if I launch Garageband, my existing projects if I try to open them just make the screen 'flash' and nothing happens. If I try to start a new project, it asks me the name and key and time signature, then says it can't open the project.

If I try to reinstall iLife 11, it fails and says it can't install.

Permissions repairs comes up with nothing.

I'm kind of stumped?

2. simsaladimbamba

What version of GarageBand on what exact Mac with what specific Mac OS X version do you use?
    And does it also happen on another (even temporarily created) account?

3. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

I have some follow-up to this.

1) It is 10.6.5 w/ iLife 11 garageband.
    2) NO it doesn't happen on another user account.

So, my Users folder is moved over to a different drive (have SSD / HD configuration) so my applicaitions etc is all on the SSD and my 'Users' folder is on the HD.

This has now caused a problem with DropBox too, it can't lauch because it can't find it's settings. I believe these are related.

Everything was working great, but I had to restore from Time Machine when my old lemon iMac was replaced for a new one.

So, how do I fix it?

4. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

So I fixed Dropbox with some sudo permissions trickery and such on their website. So I obviously have screwed up permissions. What is the right way to fix Garageband's permissions?

5. akm3 thread starter macrumors 68020

OK.

So I couldn't reinstall iLife. So I logged in a different user and DID reinstall iLife, but that didn't fix it - but it DID let me reinstall iLife on my account, so I did.

Once I did that, I could create new projects!! *BUT* I still can't open existing projects and the new ones I create, once I save and close, I can't open that either.