Garageband help

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by kjek1@hotmail.c, May 10, 2007.

1. kjek1@hotmail.c macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I was hoping someone could take me through the process of recording my guitar step by step. I have changed the preference to line in, I have plugged my guitar into the audio in port, but i hear no sound, however when i turn monitor on i do get feedback.

How do i tell its even picking my guitar up?

Someone please help.

Thanks
    Kris

2. Staggerlee77 macrumors newbie

Could be a few things - you should be getting some signal if your guitar and cable are in good shape, but you really need some kind some kind of preamp to record directly into your line in if you want to get a decent level.

If you are on a laptop it could be that your built-in mics are what's feeding back.

I'd suggest checking out a couple different resources - here's a great GB FAQ:

http://www.bulletsandbones.com/GB/GBFAQ.html

You can also find the guy that wrote it and some other really helpful folks here:

GarageBand Forum

3. NeoLink macrumors member

NeoLink

Alright. As you might know, you need the monitor on to hear yourself, but as you found out, you're feeding back.

It's not your Mic because you turned that off my switching your Audio input to line-in. What's feeding back is the guitar itself (I get the same problem with my Electric Violin sometimes). You need to either turn down your speakers and/or your guitar and/or step further away from your speakers.

Another solution is to use the guitar amp you probably have, providing you have the correct cables. What you want to essentially do is run your guitar to your amp, and then go from your amp to your Mac, then from your Mac audio-out back to your amp audio-in. This will give you more control on your amp to prevent feedback.

Once you do either of those, you'll need open a new track. Go to "Track" at the top menu bar and then click "New Track". Right after you click you'll get a couple of choices that slide down. It will read: "Software Instrument" or "Real Instrument". The Software Instrument choice is if you're using a MIDI dongle or the onscreen keyboard. What you want to click is Real Instrument. This option is for electric guitars and the like.

After that happens you'll see an effects menu slide from the right side. You can browse through those and choose a nifty effect you want on your guitar.

You should be able to take it from here.

If you have anymore questions feel free to ask.