Garageband & iMovie

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by soupyjnr, Aug 15, 2010.

1. soupyjnr macrumors 6502

Hello

Basicly I am a singer songwriter and have recently starting recording myself singing and using iMovie to record and Garageband to record me singing and putting the backing track in. I have no problem importing the Garageband file into iMovie, however I cant find how to make them go in sync - for example when I start singing in the Garageband file isnt when I start singing in the iMovie video.

Anybody know how to fix this or what to do?

Thank you in advance.

2. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

I use the older version of iMovie (iMovie HD 6), so I don't know if this will apply to the later versions. I import the audio into iMovie and slide it around manually until it syncs up. It's a simple trial and error method, but is quite easy and effective.

3. soupyjnr thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply :)

The problem I have is I listen to the backing track through my headphones, so I cant even hear when the backing track of anything starts...

4. Mac In School macrumors 65816

Basically, just drag them around until they match.

Personally, I think this would be easier the other way around. Bring the movie into GarageBand. I think it's easier to do precision dragging in GB than in iMovie, but your mileage may vary.

5. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

In the few videos I've done, I recorded the video in iMovie and the audio in Garageband. I then did all the "magic" I wanted to do to the audio in GB, exported it as AIFF and imported it into iMovie. In iMovie, I muted the audio from the camera and manually dragged the imported audio until it lined up well with the video.