GarageBand Import Music

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by saberahul, Mar 27, 2011.

1. saberahul macrumors 68040

I know there is a GB thread already but subscribing there is a pain really due to too many posts.

I just bought GB on the iPad, made a song and when I clicked on Send to iTunes, I got a message saying AAC or GarageBand (it says selecting Garageband will allow me to put the file on another ipad).
    So I selected GB and copied the .band folder (it's a folder not a file and I'm running a PC) on my desktop but when I connect the other iPad, it does not allow me to import the folder. Selecting the folder, clicking on it, drag-dropping it all results in nothing; well, clicking on it opens it and then I can copy some blank files or AAC files but they don't show up in the app.
    Any advice?

2. nashpdotcom macrumors member

As an artist who only does vocals, I need to be able to import audio into this app for it to be useful. Until then it won't get much attention from me.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Two questions that seem to highlight the absence of a decent manual or support material for Garageband for iPad. To answer the questions:

1) You can only use iTunes to transfer songs from one iPad to another. Save the song as as *band file to your iTunes library. And then sync the other iPad to the same iTunes library.

2) Vocal tracks can be brought into Garageband by using the Microphone instrument. But, if you don't want to have to perform your vocal track live (or you simply want to import a pre-recorded vocal track) - then you'll need to use a 3.5mm TRS cable plugged into the headphone jack of your iPad and the headphone jack of the device where your track is recorded (PC, tape deck, etc.). Start the Microphone instrument in Garageband, and then press "Play" (or whatever) on the device with your vocal track. Obviously, you may need to edit the resulting Garageband "recording" to get rid of any extra time, clicks, etc.