GarageBand Instruments Help

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by strakerc, May 11, 2008.

1. strakerc macrumors newbie

Hey all. I am running GarageBand '08 with 5 Jam Packs. Needless to say, it takes up an insane amount of space. I wanted to start freeing up space by just moving the instrument library over from my internal drive (19 gb) to a firewire external hard drive. I read that erasing the folder on my internal hard drive (/library/application support/garage band) would then cause garage band to prompt me to locate these files on next startup and they could be read from the external drive; however, garageband did no such thing and now all of my instruments still appear in garageband but are all just piano sounds. I tried making a symlink in the original directory to the new one, but this did not change anything. Please help!!!!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Try moving/deleting GarageBand's preferences file. This is found in /Users/username/Library/Preferences and is called com.apple.GarageBand.plist, where username is your short username.

3. strakerc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for the advice, however moving this file did nothing in terms of fixing the instruments. I will try a reinstall of garageband+the software instruments and post how that worked out. Thanks!

4. strakerc thread starter macrumors newbie

Ironically, the problem ended up being really, really simple. For some reason garageband messed up the appropriate directory of the instruments and created an additional folder. I simply put them where they were supposed to be and vwalah! Fixed.