Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mikeylang22

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 6, 2009
Hi, I'm new here to the forums and I have a question hopefully someone can help me.

I created a song on Garageband and I am trying to covert to and MP3 file for e-mailing and uploading etc. I have read about a dozen different articles on it and they all say the same thing. "Import it to iTunes, then go to the advanced settings and create an MP3 version of it" everytime I've tried this I get a MPEG file instead of an MP3. Anyone know why this is happening?

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Hi, I'm new here to the forums and I have a question hopefully someone can help me.

I created a song on Garageband and I am trying to covert to and MP3 file for e-mailing and uploading etc. I have read about a dozen different articles on it and they all say the same thing. "Import it to iTunes, then go to the advanced settings and create an MP3 version of it" everytime I've tried this I get a MPEG file instead of an MP3. Anyone know why this is happening?

You do know that "mp3" is an abbreviation for "MPEG Level 3".

If you want to convert in iTunes first you go to the preference to says what format CDs are to be ripped into. Then you select your track and right click and select "convert to mp3"

There are other software that make is process simpler. Try Audicity or even Qicktime

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
RE:
"I created a song on Garageband and I am trying to covert to and MP3 file for e-mailing and uploading etc. I have read about a dozen different articles on it and they all say the same thing. "Import it to iTunes, then go to the advanced settings and create an MP3 version of it" everytime I've tried this I get a MPEG file instead of an MP3. Anyone know why this is happening?"

Here's another app that can do it:
http://www.mikeash.com/?page=software/qtamateur/

Very easy-to-use an useful free utility.

- John

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.