GarageBand Jam Packs on external HD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by leekohler, Jun 13, 2007.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hey guys- a friend of mine has an iBook 1.25 Ghz with a 30 gig hard drive. This was his first Mac and he had no idea how addicted to GarageBand he would get. He wants to get some Jam Packs, such as Symphony Orchestra which is about 6 gigs. With a 30 gig hard drive, that's a tough one. But, he also has an 80 gig external hard drive. This may sound stupid, but is it possible to install the Jam Packs on the external hard drive and run them on the iBook? I'm just not sure how possible it would be to install them on his boot drive. Apps and the OS take up a lot of space.

2. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe I'm asking a stupid question. :) It seems to me it should work though.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

OK- I give up after this, I promise. Anybody? Yes or no?

4. rockstarjoe macrumors 6502a

rockstarjoe

You have to install them to the laptop's internal hard drive first. Then, move them to the external drive. Then, when you open Garageband I believe it will say something about how it can't find your instruments/loops. Then I think you drag them to the inspector / browser. I have my garageband jam packs on my external drive and I believe this is how I did it. I found instructions on another website.

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Thanks! I thought it might be something like that. Anybody else?