GarageBand - Learn to Play

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Greenhoe, Jan 28, 2009.

1. Greenhoe macrumors regular

I've been messing around with the new GarageBand and I love the new Learn to play feature, the lessons are amazing and really help. I was wondering do you guys think they will continue to add more lessons to the Lesson Store? or do you think we will have to wait till iLife 2010 to get more lessons.

2. torid110 macrumors regular

Hopefully they do. That was one of the big reasons i got the new iLife. Out of curiosity, what are you learning to play ? Guitar or Piano. I'm trying guitar and i'm having a bit of an issue. I connect via an M-Audio fast track USB. It works in the regular garageband, but when i use it to play along with the lesson, it doesn't seem to pick it up. The tuning feature in the lesson doesn't work either.

3. Greenhoe thread starter macrumors regular

I'm learning the piano and I have the M-Audio Keystuido which works great. I'm not really sure why your having problems getting it to work as my keyboard work just like it does in GarageBand. So far the lessons are great so I hope they keep coming out with them.

4. joponop macrumors newbie

I'm really enjoying the Artist Lessons. I've been playing the acoustic guitar for about 4 months now, and this is by far the best learning tool. I hope they get more artists to sign on.

I'm even thinking about buying a keyboard and starting to learn piano.

As for the tuning issues, you might have to change the tuning settings. It might be using the computers microphone.

5. nippyjun macrumors 65816

Knowing Apple, and it's not a bad thing, they will want to have another revenue stream by having more of these. I doubt very much that they would wait until next year to add more. What would be nice is if they would allow artists to have free lessons... maybe as a way to promote their music.

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

This is gonna be a great feature, is there a list online of whats available right now?

No doubt theres going to be alot of john mayer to come!

7. Fitchley macrumors newbie

Fitchley

Are the Artist Lessons included with Garage Band 09? It was hard to tell in Apple's description. It said "sold separately". Does it come with a few, and you can purchase others? Or do you have to purchase all lessons?

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

It comes with the few basic ones that dont have a celebrity in them (unless that guy is a celebrity and I just dont know it.).

9. joponop macrumors newbie

It comes with 10 basic lessons each for the guitar and piano. I think there are 6 or 8 artist lessons that you can buy for $4.99 each. They are all listed on the garageband section on the apple website.

I bet if demand is high enough they'll continue to add artists. They probably have to pay the artists a hefty sum up front, so they want to make sure it's a good way to earn money.

10. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

I have been using my guitar for the guitar lessons, and it has worked just great. Best of all, I'm not using any fancy stuff to connect to my mac.

What I have:
    Guitar
    1/4 to 1/8 inch adapter
    long 1/8 inch to 1/8 inch cable

You can get the adapter and cable at Radio Shack probably for less than $10

I plug the 1/8 to 1/8 inch cable into the microphone port on my mac, and garageband has no problem picking it up. I can hear myself in the lessons, and the tuner works great too. You may have to go into Garageband Preferences and switch the audio driver. I don't remember if I had to do that.

11. joponop macrumors newbie

Yeah I actually tried out the record feature on Learn to Play. It's really cool. It allows you to mix in your own playing and mute out other parts of the band to see how your playing compares with theirs. I honestly don't think there's a cooler learning method. It's like a private lesson from a celebrity.

12. JazzLion macrumors member

It seems as not every region obtains access to all the Artists Lessons at the Lesson Store. (In HK and only see four)

13. cowm007 macrumors regular

Just got a chance to play around with "Learn to Play" (took a while to download the huge lessons lol). I gotta hand it to Apple, this is one of the coolest learning methods I've ever seen. It seems they've thought of every thing in terms of how to present the information to you.

It's a shame it's a few years too late for me :p. I've been playing for about 7 years now and I found most lessons pretty basic. I hope they get some more advanced lessons up soon, say sweep picking or right-hand tapping. I also hope that more artists get on board with the program.

I wouldn't mind seeing Dragonforce try and teach us how to play some of their songs. I don't think even they know how to.</unnecessaryJabAtDragonforce>

14. SCStevens04 macrumors member

Keyboard suggestion?

I'd like to give this a shot and let my 7yr old try it out too. Anyone have a suggestion for a 1st timer keyboard? Realistically, will probably be tried a dozen times then end up on Craigslist:eek:

15. kepardue macrumors 6502

I'm anxious to try this out, but first I've decided to run the stabilization analysis on all of my home movies. Crazy, I've got like 20-ish hours of home movies since 1999 and it says it's going to take 325 more hours to analyze them. Hopefully that's a conservative estimate and it'll take much less time.

But back to the point, I've always wanted to learn an instrument and have a guitar and a keyboard, both with USB adapters. I've just never had the patience. Hopefully this new learning method will make it click for me.

I'm excited about the prospect of more artists being added to the iTunes store. I know everyone is going to have their favorite, but personally I would love to see Apple enlist David Gilmour to teach Wish You were Here or another Floyd classic. Sadly I'm sure they're going to stick more with the poppy stars for the younguns.