Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Well, at my highschool we make a lot of films, some go to contest to make money or to win prizes, or just for bragging rights, but there is one worth 5K, (sorry only HS kids) and my question is if i only use the music from garageband (only apples pre insterted loops) and bring them into a song project, mix it how i want it with other sounds, is it legal to distribute, or gain profit off of this? All of our programs are aired on "localized cable tv" within our district...

So to recap: Is it legal to distribute Garageband made music that does not have any original playing within it?

.:*Robot Boy*:.

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2005
New Zealand
Texas04 said:
Is it legal to distribute Garageband made music that does not have any original playing within it?

From the iLife '06 manual

b. GarageBand/Jam Pack.

You may use the Apple and third party audio loop content ("Audio Content"), contained in or otherwise included with the Apple Software, on a royalty-free basis, to create your own original soundtracks for your video and audio projects. You may broadcast and/or distribute your own soundtracks that were created using the Audio Content, however, individual samples, sound sets, or audio loops may not be commercially or otherwise distributed on a standalone basis, nor may they be repackaged in whole or in part as audio samples, sound libraries, sound effects or music beds.

So, basically, yes. You are allowed to distribute songs that have been created using Apple loops/samples.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.