Garageband, LogicPro Latency Issue

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by rympy, Feb 25, 2008.

1. rympy macrumors member

I've been experiencing some annoying latency issues when using garageband and guitar tones in logic while playing my electric guitar live through the audio input on my MBP.

It's been happening since 10.5.1 and maybe earlier..

I've optimized the sound drive for minimum delay when playing instruments live in the GB prefs, and i've tried similar things with logic. (Im a logic newbie btw).

I tried repairing permissions and doing a restart as well.

There seems to be no latency at all at first, but then after playing for about half a minute it starts to incrementally get worse. After several minutes of continuous playing the delay between the time I hit the string and the time i hear it gets stoooopid!

my iStat widget shows roughly half of my ram is unused and my Intel Duo CPU is cruising below 50%.

Thanks in advance!!!
    rympy (likes playing arpeggios in GB)

2. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

Out of interest, try using headphones. I had a similar problem last year and headphones solved it, though it's obviously not ideal.

3. rympy thread starter macrumors member

4. rympy thread starter macrumors member

Real instrument latency in garageband 4.0

something interesting is that i found that by pausing the playback every so often seemed to reset the latency. So It would start again in time after hitting spacebar and then eventually fall out of time again. I could stop-start again and it would go back to normal.

Could my audio drivers or other hardware be at fault?

5. rympy thread starter macrumors member

Anyone?

The problem still persists..
    One other thing I've noticed is that I hear a faint static noise 'pop' as the delay from the real instrument increases.. Then another faint static noise pop and the latency increases. This seems to continue until I stop/start and the latency seems to reset itself only to come back again..

Frustrated!
    Thanks

6. andyroo3 macrumors newbie

Latency work around

I've had some latency issues as well. None as bad as described when a song increases in latency as it progresses. I have had big lag, but only when I have lots of effects and/or software instruments. I have a powerbook G4 1gz and a seagate 5400rpm drive as well as 1 gig of ram. This is well above the minimum and does a pretty good job. To the point though - here's is how I work around latency.

When things start lagging - after 12 tracks or so. what I'll do is do a quick mix and save with iLife preview. Then I start a new file and import said preview and start recording some new tracks. How to combine all tracks for final mix? Well - either export new tracks one by one and import into the original file (there is no problem in playback - you can have oodles of tracks) or if appropriate, mix new tracks, export and import as above.

I had 18 tracks of instruments (six for drums - excellent for realism) and guitars etc. Then I started on the vocals and things started to lag lots. So I followed the above. I have a digital deck as well so I could even master the backing track and then I have a completely tight 2 channel track to lay my vocals onto. Sounds and works very well. Like the band with the singer.

7. witters85 macrumors newbie

Hi, did you ever find out how to solve this problem? I have the exact same issue with latency in Logic.