Garageband midi control list?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by thomasrgriffith, Jul 22, 2014.

1. thomasrgriffith macrumors newbie

I am looking for a list of what can be controlled by a midi controller in Garageband 10 and what midi messages need to be sent to control them.

When setting up custom midi controls for other software and garageband happens to also be open I have discovered some accidentally.
    Example would be Data CC9 mutes the selected track. It just happened to be the same thing that scrubs a track in my Djay midi controller.

Would be nice to have a list of what midi messages Garageband is using and what they control. I know there is little that can be controlled in Garageband, but it would be nice to use what is there and avoid crossing paths with them by accident.

2. jakesaunders27 macrumors 6502a

jakesaunders27

I would just try using whatever MIDI device on a different channel so you don't interfere with anything, so channel 2. This may work but some controllers use more than one channel so it may not. Regarding a list, it would probably vary per controller, I don't use Garageband but I would assume there is some way of bringing up a MIDI map so you can see.

3. thomasrgriffith thread starter macrumors newbie

That was my first reaction. It seems however that Garageband listens to all channels.

It's not a crucial thing. It does seem that a midi map should be available, so one could take full advantage of what little midi control you can use with Garageband.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

I'm pretty sure that GB uses "discovery" rather then a fixed map. This is why yo can't find the map.

When you are setting up the control GB listens to what the MIDI controller sends and "remembers". You can send anything you like and then that becomes the message used for that function.