Garageband/MIDI - Could really do with some help here please!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bhandaro, Feb 17, 2016.

1. bhandaro macrumors newbie

Hey all,

I just signed-up to this group today and am not the most technologically gifted of peeps...

So kinda relying on anyone who has knowledge on GarageBand and connecting them to an electric piano...

I have a Roland FP7...a cable with a USB one end and two wires - one 'in' and one 'out' the other end.

So far I have connected the in/out into the FP7, and plugged in the USB.

A device seems to be recognised....but I cannot find any way at all to be able to play music directly from my FP7 through GarageBand. Ultimately I want to record directly too, as in not have to use the in-built mic on my laptop for recordings (plus background noise!)...but to play my piano and it to record directly.

(I'm sure I'm repeating myself but my brain and soul are a bit tired after all my research/attempts).

I DON'T have an interface, literally all I have is as described!

I did download a 'driver' from the Roland website and it seems to have installed, although I'm not sure if it's up and running automatically.

I ususally like to try and figure things like this out by myself but it's taken quite a few hours these past few days and I'm still no further.

I'd really appreciate any help/advice anyone can offer,

Thanks,

A

2. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

First, make sure you have installed the correct driver.

Follow the instructions on Page 143 of the user manual when connecting to your Mac. Remember you will only be transmitting MIDI instructions to Garageband over USB unless you invest in an audio interface. If you manage to get MIDI working, open a new software instrument track and take your pick from the Garageband's library of instruments.