garageband MP3 export

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by brentg33, Jul 23, 2008.

1. brentg33 macrumors 6502a

in the last two days, when i make something in garageband and i want to export to disk. before i would choose my desktop and after normalizing and converting...it would put a mp3 on my desktop. recently when i do this, it normalizes the track...but it just stops after that....no mp3 on my desktop....i have to send it to itunes now and then pull it out of itunes to have an mp3....what is going on?

2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I'm experiencing the same thing, I have to export it to iTunes for it to work. So it's not just you ;)

3. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

its very strange, but i guess im somewhat relieved its not just me...could this be due to the recent ilife '08 update?

4. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I could swear that this is how it always worked, but I haven't been in there in months. :confused:

5. brentg33 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i can say for sure that in the last year, i was able to export a mp3 to my desktop out of garageband without going thru itunes up until this week.

6. minang macrumors newbie

minang

7. littlemcbeast macrumors newbie

Same problem here.

I only started using GarageBand in November, but I've never gotten it to save to an .mp3 without exporting to iTunes first. The other function just doesn't work at all - it looks like it's saving my file as an .mp3, but I can never find it afterwards.

8. drnbdnrk macrumors newbie

I've been having similar problems - one of many when trying to export from Garageband.

Share –> Export Song to Disk...

If I export using compression (saving as an .m4a file), it shows up fine wherever I save it to. However, if I don't use compression (saving as an .aif file), it still goes through the entire "creating mixdown" and "normalizing" (if I have that turned on), but then no file shows up anywhere.

Other problems when exporting included huge loss of volume (when "normalize" is turned on in the preferences), or major bass distortion if normalize is turned off.

So does anyone actually know of any solutions to these? I might try Soundbooth or Sound Studio to try and adjust the volume levels and then bring it back into iTunes again.