GarageBand multi-source recording?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by JBaker122586, Jan 9, 2008.

1. JBaker122586 macrumors 65816

Is it possible to simultaneously record in GarageBand on two separate tracks from two different sources? i.e. An electric-acoustic guitar plugged into the computer with a separate mic recording the actual acoustic sound.
    Thanks for the help.

2. Drumjim85 macrumors 68030

Drumjim85

I'm sure it is, (i don't have GB.. so i probably shouldn't even be posting here), but you'll need another sound card... your computer won't be able to do it out of the box ...

what computer and sound card (if any) do you have?

3. JBaker122586 thread starter macrumors 65816

Haha, well I'm running on an iMac, so it sounds like the answer is no.

4. Jolly Jimmy macrumors 65816

Jolly Jimmy

Hi,

Macs have a stereo input, and I use this to record 2 channels at once in garage band. You just need a cable or adapter that directs both your audio sources into one stereo mini jack, and set the track inputs on garage band correctly. Make 2 real instrument tracks and set the inputs to "Channel 1 (Mono)" on one and "Channel 2 (Mono)" on the other.

Although this works, the built in input isn't great so you may want to invest in some sort of soundcard or audio interface.

Hope this helps

JJJ

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

M-AUDIO has some nice products that might help. A really simple one that should do what you want is the FastTrack. It plugs in through USB and has an input for both a mic and a guitar. The one I am refering to is the older version, the new FastTrack Pro I think has two of each but is more expensive. You can probably find the first one on eBay for under $100.

6. GoKyu macrumors 65816

GoKyu

Similar to the M-Audio Fasttrack, I bought the Line6 Toneport UX1 not too long ago, and I love it - you can plug in one instrument at a time (guitar OR bass, I play both), a mic, and headphones (either for late-night jamming, or to listen to yourself while recording. It comes with Ableton Live (v5.2), which works great.

I'm still on a PC at the moment (Mac Pro coming in the next week or so!), so I'm wondering if it's better to stay with Ableton, or to try out GarageBand and see if it has any cool features as well.

-Bryan