Garageband Multitrack?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by bowens, Oct 22, 2007.

1. bowens macrumors 6502a

bowens

I have a Samson C01U mic that I record guitar with. I want to try to record through that and use a direct connection from my guitar to my mac. I tried this the other day but could not get both to input at the same time. I had to choose one or the other. Is there a way to record via USB mic and line in at the same time?

2. Icarus73 macrumors regular

unfortunately, no. USB can only do one track at a time, no matter what you hear. those usb mixers mix everything into one track and send it. firewire, on the other hand, can do multiple tracks at one time.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Incorrect. USB 1.1 can record 2 tracks (which could be L and R of a stereo track, or 2 completely independent tracks), and there are some USB 2.0 interfaces that will do up to 8 tracks.

That doesn't address the OP's question however -- can they record simultaneously from a mono USB source and the Line In at the same time. OSX does support multiple simultaneous audio interfaces, however I don't know whether Garageband allows this configuration.

4. mohthom macrumors newbie

It's not a question of Garageband support. The answer is yes, yes you can do that.

In system preferences go to sound, and create aggregate audio device. I'm sure you'll figure out the rest. If not, do a web search.

Sounds like you could do with a small interface anyway if what you're talking about is something that you do regularly.

MohThoM