Garageband: No guitar sound recording through Saffire 6 interface

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by TrashKid, Nov 23, 2010.

1. TrashKid macrumors newbie

Could really do with some help, please.

I'm new to Garageband, so far I've managed to record vocals (to a backing track) no problem but can't get any sound when trying to record electric guitar. The input and output is set to Saffire 6 in the Garageband preferences, it's also selected in the general sound preferences.

On the chosen amp I have the following selected:
    Input source: Mono 1 (Saffire 6 USB)
    Monitor: Off
    (Recording level and noise gate are greyed out?)

The minute I put monitor to 'on' I just get tons of feedback, turning down the gain reduces it but never gets rid of it altogether. If I turn on feedback protection it goes but still nothing records. (I'm also not getting any of the amp sound through the headphones when playing.)

The red recording light is on (in GB), it isn't muted, I've tried it with the track volume selected and unselected (it's currently saying 0.0 dB- either way) I've tried turning down the gain on the interface and also the track volume to see if that stops the feedback (if it's that that's cutting the sound even with feedback protection on) but all to no avail, just a long purple block of nothing!

I'm clearly doing something idiotic and would be really grateful if someone could point out what it is, please!

Thanks

2. jackerin macrumors 6502a

The two things that I can think of is either you have the wrong input selected (since I'm guessing the Saffire has at least two), in which case you could try Mono 2. The other thing is if you have the guitar directly connected to a line-input; guitars and basses usually need a Hi-Z input for recording directly.

3. TrashKid thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, Jackerin, we did try both inputs, (that was my first thought too!)

We got it sorted in the end, we selected the Sapphire under 'special effects' as well as input and output, we were trying all sorts of stuff so couldn't swear it was that which actually worked but something did!

4. BlackJack325 macrumors member

Good to know you got it working.... how do you like that interface? how good is the quality?
    Ive been looking for a "starter" interface to mess with garageband too for the mean time. Untill I sell my current recording set up and buy an 8 ch interface.