Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi, Im new to this so go easy on me if im missing something here....

Im recording an acoustic guitar track, instrument only , no vocals. Then im creating new track for vocals, playing the guitar track through headphones and singing along to it. I was hoping to get a track with pure vocals on it, however I get both the guitar and the vocals. I have the headphones ticked, and there is no output from the speakers on my mac when playing the guitar track , i dont see how the mic is picking up the guitar when recording the vocals, any ideas guys?

Fishrrman

macrumors Penryn
Feb 20, 2009
The headphones you're using -- are they the "open" type, or are they "closed".

By closed I mean "sealed can" types, so little or no sound can "escape outwards" when you are wearing them.

Could you be hearing "bleed through" sound escaping from open-ear type phones?

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Hi thanks for the reply.

I have been using in ear bud type headphones, which I guess are the open type. I think it could be a possibility that sound was coming from these and being amplified by GarageBand ?

It's as if the output from the guitar track is being played back through GarageBand somehow and appearing on the vocal track. I will try different headphones to be sure.

Is it best to have the "monitor" setting on when recording the vocal track ?

EvilHomer484

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2012
Ive been given a solution by a work mate....

switch on multitrack recording, toggle input source to mono for both tracks. Then record vocals whilst listening to guitar track over headphones. Problem solved.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.