Garageband on first gen iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by patp, Mar 2, 2011.

1. patp Guest

pretty happy to see Garageband for iPad, but will the first gen iPad have enough power to run it?

256 mb me thinks it'll be a stutter latency festival.

2. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I defentinetly plan on buying garageband on day one for my iPad.
    Not getting the iPad 2, even though it does seem very cool.

I don't think it'll be a huge lag fest, it does only record 8 tracks (lame).
    I can see mobile garageband being a useful tool for on the fly inspiration recordings, I don't think too many people are gonna be able to have very complex songs with only 8 tracks. I make electronically, I have no idea how rock would work. I bet the iPad would be decently useful for bands just starting out wanting to record something quick.

-I don't think it'll lag on the first gen ipad.
    -I think 8 tracks is limiting this app extremely, but with so little ram, I can't imagine they'd give us much more anyways.

3. Syk macrumors 6502a

I saw 8 tracks and went :(
    I put every instrument on it's on track, even drums(snare,hats,bass, etc) go on their own track.

4. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

Me too! It allows for greater customization of a sound, without the headache of ruining the whole instrument.

5. PhoneI macrumors 65816

Garageband will work on iPad 1. iMovie will not.

6. Syk macrumors 6502a

LOL I can use over half the tracks on percussion alone hahah
    Then add in other instruments and well 8 isn't enough.

I guess it's just for laying out an ideal but there's an app called Music Studio and it allows more than 8 tracks. I used it and made a whole song just toying around. It also out puts a mid file that you can import into you DAW software and add better instruments and other effects.

Still going to toy with GB

7. afireintonto macrumors 6502a

afireintonto

I'm really hoping that apple is gonna let us import a garageband file from the iPad into os x garageband so that we can edit the midi files. I highly doubt that the ipad is gonna let me drag copy, paste, and edit each note played.

I can see this becoming huge in the next few years, we just need the hardware first of all thats powerful enough to run it, and the software just like we have on os x.
    Very excited to see what mobile garageband offers. :)