Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

brettsinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
Not exactly. I want the names of the notes (C D E F etc.) to appear on the keyboard. Like this:
flashkb.jpg

Not sure if GB can do that or not.

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
ah...I dunno if it can do that, though at a guess I would doubt it. Is this for educational purposes i.e. you're teaching someone? Personally, I just always figured out where C was and counted from there. Since the white keys are never sharps nor flats it works pretty well for me. Though I'll grant you keeping track of a key with more than a couple of sharps can be little tricky...

beatsme

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2005
ah...I dunno if it can do that, though at a guess I would doubt it. Is this for educational purposes i.e. you're teaching someone? Personally, I just always figured out where C was and counted from there. Since the white keys are never sharps nor flats it works pretty well for me. Though I'll grant you keeping track of a key with more than a couple of sharps can be little tricky...

EDIT: I don't use the keyboard, per se. I typically use the Track Editor (see attached image), since C is marked at every octave on the display. I can't really record anything in real time anyway, since the latency is so bad, so I just plunk out a few notes and then build the chord (or whatever) in the Track Editor.

I doubt if that's useful to you at all...:eek:

Attachments

• Pic2.png
    Pic2.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 480

zimv20

macrumors 601
Jul 18, 2002
toronto
Since the white keys are never sharps nor flats
technically, they are. e.g. B = Cb, F = E#, etc.

depending on the key, you can get more examples. in the first movement of beethoven's moonlight sonata, which is in C# minor, there's an F## (which means you hit the G key).

brettsinger

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 13, 2006
This helps a bit. It's not for education purposes, it's for me. I play guitar and was surprised at how easy I found it to plunk out tunes on the musical typing keyboard. To then play them on my actual guitar, it helps to know what the names of the notes are. The tip below helps a bit, thanks.
FWIW, I'm a brand-new Mac owner and I liiiiike it.
Thanks for the help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.