Garageband or Logic Express?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by jayeskreezy, Aug 6, 2008.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

I just tried to do my first recording and editing a full track w/vocals in Garageband and basically all my stuff got deleted/altered upon saving :mad: . I don't think I have the latest version of Garageband, but I found some things extremely annoying when editing (small track viewing area, cant save or export as an mp3-limited vocal effects,horrible volume controls, etc.). I don't do a WHOLE lot of audio editing, but I do like to make songs and random recordings from time to time.

I used to use cool edit pro a LONG time ago in college for audio editing and I am familiar with time lines in video (Final Cut Pro and Express). My question is should I upgrade my version of Garageband or purchase Logic express?

Obviously I'd rather go the cheaper route, but what would be best in the long run? My current version of Garageband is 3.0.5. Thanks!

2. SigmundFraud macrumors member

GB's good for what it's good for

It sounds like you probably want Logic Express. You can do quite a lot with GB so long as you are patient and willing to work out how to defy its limitations (e.g. export as an AIFF and convert to MP3). Doing clever stuff like making your own loops, sample-accurate edits, pitch-shifting and so forth can be done with odd and complex work-arounds and the help of Audacity, but I decided in the end that this missed the whole point of GB.

I have Logic Studio, but I still use GB as a "scratch-pad". I've never used a music tool that has allowed me to get ideas into some sort of shape so quickly and easily. As soon as I find I'm getting cross with GB, I import it into Logic and start doing the fiddley stuff, and with much greater ease. I didn't notice much of a leap from v3 to v4, so don't rush an upgrade here. Logic Express is like an entry-level Digital SLR camera, GB a nice little point-and-shoot. They have very different and complementary roles.

3. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Is it worth it to get Logic Express 7 Academic or just get 8? Also, can you upgrade from Academic Software?

4. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I don't believe you can upgrade academic software. I've had no problems with GarageBand but if you're doing serious music work then definitely go with Logic Express.

The current version of GarageBand is 4.1.2 :p

5. SigmundFraud macrumors member

Go with Logic Express 8

From what I understand, LE8 is much more feature rich than LE7 and retains much of the functionality of Logic Pro. With the release of Logic 8, apple seemed to want to make buying Apples for music a no-brainer. Part of this was slashing the price, the other part was making LE8 essentially the same as Logic Pro minus surround sound, the extensive libraries and some studio automation features. In other words, for the home studio musician, LE8 is every bit as good as Logic Pro so long as you have your own sample libraries.

6. apsterling macrumors 6502a

apsterling

It all depends. Are you fiddling with synths or instruments through audio?

Garageband is harder to use with any sort of midi instrument, but Logic is harder to do MIDI roll editing in.

It comes down to priorities. I really love LE8 though.

7. colinmusic macrumors newbie

express 7

I'm not sure that logic express 7 can handle editing very well. I wanted to use the sample editor to cut and paste one note from an audio file into a different location. There was no pencil tool in the sample edit window and the only option seems to be to guess roughly with the main region windows.
    All very crude and inaccurate and certainly no better than garage band.....or am I missing something?

colin

8. Leaver macrumors newbie

Hi

My advice is go with Logic Express 8 - the interface is on top similar to garage band and it has the deep editing and configuration options that it sounds like you need. I have spent time in all of the major DAW's and as the above poster states the scratchpad of Garageband is the quickest and most accessible ever , but I have found that Logic 8 is capable of SOOO much more and is compatible with garageband files.

BTW the only differences between LP8 studio and express is really just Plugins, samples and Instruments you get with the full version. The core program of Logic is near enough identical, Logic Express 8 is such a bargain if you don't need pro reverbs, EQ's and loads of samples, Logic Express 7 was severely cut down in features and plugins from the Pro version

Hope this Helps, sounded a bit like a salesman there, any more questions, just ask.

Dan

9. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone for the advice. What does DAW stand for by the way? Anyway, I decided to get Logic Studio for $149 with a student discount. I was going to get LE8 for $69, but I figured for $80 more I could get ALL of the apple jampacks included which is a $500 value-that made it a no-brainer. Now, I just need to find out where I can go to get relatively inexpensive tutorials on how to use the program. I guess I'll start with the tutorial dvds. :D

10. colinmusic macrumors newbie

cut down logic 7

Chasing this thought of a feature restricted program - can anyone confirm that there is NOT a pencil tool in the sample editor of Express 7 ? My manuals tell me this is what I need for precise control ....and mine doesn't exist. Am I blind or correct? Does Express 8 have it?

Colin

11. Leaver macrumors newbie

Hi Jayeskreezy

DAW stands for Digital Audio Workstation, think its a bit of a hangover term from the days of Standalone sequencers and the idea that you can only do music on a computer thats dedicated to that, I use all my macs for everything else and Logic/Garageband work fine if that is the only thing you have running when you use it.

As for training the official Logic pro and express 8 book - Apple Pro Training Series: Logic Pro 8 and Logic Express 8 by David Nahmani is an excellent resource, got mine from amazon with 40% off, saves a bit.

http://www.amazon.com/Apple-Pro-Training-Logic-Express/dp/0321502922/

Also david the author runs a forum, I am only a lurker there but it seems a friendly place

http://logicprohelp.com/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=9a358f09f3da3f69321b8329e99c7914

AND, there is also macprovideo.com they do video tuts there and they seem good value, never bought one (yet) but i watched a free one and it was good.

Finally, the printed manuals that come with Logic Studio are a great resource, that is definitely a bonus over Express, mine always has to be moved off of my keyboard whenever I get to play.

I got loads to say about logic, it turns out, the music I work on has never been better or more professional since moving to macs and logic.

oh and @colin, I seem to remember running into the pencil problem once or twice on LE7 and although I don't use LE8 I am 99% sure that feature will be in there, not much is missing at all as I have been informed.

hope this helps

Dan

12. colinmusic macrumors newbie

logic express 7 sample editor

hi - the biggest obstacle to me editing is I think that I cannot audition ( that is Hear ) files in the sample editor. I have printed the adobe help file and on page 277 of chapter 11 there is a section about functions in overview. Clicking on the overview file seems to activate the green speaker and the time bar as the manual says it should. .....but there is no sound. This is also the case when you single or double click on the main sample edit view area.

The only way to hear sound is through the arrange window - when the tracks play fine.

Is this a bug - or am I doing something wrong?

Colin

13. timseley macrumors member

What school do you go to?!? That's a killer deal.