Garageband parameters ??

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by bprice, Mar 20, 2011.

1. bprice macrumors member

I looked in a few places like the Apple store but I didn't see any info.

#1 Can iPad Garageband files be opened up in Logic as a session?
    #2 Can the tracks be bounced down as aiff or wav files so they can be flown into a DAW?
    What is the sample and bit rate and
    #3.Can you use outside plugs
    #4.Are there midi files for the inst tracks?(like on the iGTR)
    #5 Are there apple loops?
    #6 Can it record to an external drive?

thanks

2. vrDrew macrumors 65816

Q: Can iPad Garageband files be opened up in Logic as a session?

A: Right now, probably not. In fact, you can't actually open iPad Garageband files in Garageband for Mac. They are waiting on an update to make this happen. But I would assume this capability will come fairly soon, and presumably will support Logic too.

Q: Can the tracks be bounced down as aiff or wav files so they can be flown into a DAW?

A: You have the option of saving them as AAC files.

Q: What is the sample and bit rate and

A: 128 KBPS, 44.1 khz

Q: Can you use outside plugs

Not at this time.

Q: Are there midi files for the inst tracks?(like on the iGTR)

No

Q: Are there apple loops?

There are 270 included Apple loops. Drums, Bass, Guitars, Synths, Strings, Pianos, Mallets, woodwind, and vocal. Not a bad list, but naturally limited.

Q: Can it record to an external drive?

Not directly. Any recording you make needs to be first saved to the iPad, and then either e-mailed or sync'ed to save it to another device.

Garageband for iPad contains a relatively small subset of the capabilities of Garageband for the Mac. Obviously instrument, loops, and number of tracks are limited. And right now there is no capability to edit individual notes in the piano roll.

Its a great App. But, while it certainly is possible to create very pleasing tunes with it, its probably best to think of it as a musical sketchpad, with an emphasis on guitar and keyboard artists, rather than a full musical canvas. Not necessarily a toy - but not quite a tool either.

3. bprice thread starter macrumors member

Thanks Drew.I was hoping it would be a little more advanced out the gate but I have a strong feeling it will get an update soon.If nothing more it would be a great controller for a more thorough app.

4. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

I'm not sure, exactly, what you mean by "#3.Can you use outside plugs" but I've read that things like iRig work just fine with it (haven't tried it myself though).

5. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I assumed that "outside plugs" referred to external VST Plug-In Effects and Instruments, for which there is no iPad Garageband support.

Garageband definitely does support external MIDI keyboards, as well as guitar adapters such as the iRig.