GarageBand performance on iPad 1 and 2

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Slip Jigs, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Slip Jigs macrumors 6502a

Im in the "I'm happy with the original iPad and dont see a valid reason to upgrade" camp.

But, there's one thing that may change my mind - how much better does GarageBand perform on ipad2?

On iPad 1, loading and playing the demo song works fine. Recording and overdubbing anfew short tracks works fine. But I'm starting to hear some latency when I get beyond a few tracks.

Multitrack recording applications need more power when playing back and tea time effects, and when recording and playing back at the same time. So, I'm not surprised about the latency, but wondering if even the better processor and memory in the iPad 2 is even enough.

Does anyone have any personal experience, or does anyone know of any good reports or reviews describing such testing and comparisons?

2. deadwalrus macrumors regular

I have been using GarageBand on my iPad 2. I haven't really noticed "lag" per se, but have noticed a bit of bugginess in general and unwanted "clicks" and other odd behavior (i.e., some missed notes when looping; guitar strings becoming "un-muted" for loops etc.). It's a bit annoying, but I can't imagine anyone trying to use this for professional purposes anyways.

3. Slip Jigs thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the input. I would imagine on either device, that other things going on in the background would produce some problems, mostly WIFI.

What about instrument latency? I didn't notice any just playing, but a little when recording and a little more when overdubbing.

4. deadwalrus macrumors regular

I haven't noticed any instrument latency. The playback buggyness is pretty annoying though. I don't think it's due to background things, for the simple reason that it will continue for long periods of time. I.e., the first note of a the guitar won't play for any looped section after the first. I cannot get it to play, no matter what I do. I switch to a different song, then switch back. It now plays every time.

Like I said, seems more like general buggyness to me.