Garageband: Plugin only available for software instruments?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by eicca, Nov 15, 2014.

1. eicca macrumors 6502

eicca

I'm trying to use the plugin "Ambience" by Smartelectronix. Here's the weird thing. If I create a software instrument, i.e. Hammonds B3, I go to the Smart Controls panel and add plugins and it shows up in the list. BUT when I add an instrument using the line-in, the plugin doesn't come up! This is really irritating me because I NEED THAT PLUGIN for my line-in recordings.

I have other projects saved that have the Ambience plugin applied to the line-in tracks and it seems to work just fine but starting from scratch I can't apply it to line in tracks.

Weirdest part? This only started happening a few days ago.

I've done everything I can imagine to try and fix this issue. I've lowered my security settings, deleted and reset all imaginable cache and preference files, removed any software I installed since the problem occurred, you name it.

What would cause a plugin to show up under one type of instrument but not another?

2. ChrisA macrumors G4

Garage band searches some folders for plug-ins when it starts up and runs a test to see it they work. It refuses to use those that it thinks are broken. I bet this process was broken by some software upgrade.

You can force GB to re-evaluate all you plug-ins by removing and reinstalling them. You might get some clues from a log file (but which log file?) try looking in /var/log/ for log files that are being written to. I'd try /var/log/syslog.log first but I don't use GB having moved to Logic.

3. eicca thread starter macrumors 6502

eicca

Well I fixed it. The problem was choosing a mono input instead of stereo. Apparently the plugin only works with two channels.

I cannot believe I spent hours chasing this thing and THAT'S ALL IT WAS.