Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Simon6621

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 26, 2015
Let me preface this thread by saying I am new to this forum, and I have no idea if I'm even posting this in the right place. I also know very little about computers, so please be patient with me.

Basically I've been trying to use my Macbook OSX Yosemite 10.10.5 to make beats in GarageBand, but I've been having problems being able to play anything. I was trying to sample a song I got from YouTube, but whenever I play it in GarageBand the song pauses after two seconds and I get an error code thing saying "Part of the project was not played." After reading up on it a bit I found that there is a problem with my CPU. Whenever I start playing a song in GB the CPU usage goes crazy high. Also I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I have a ton of free space on my computer but it still runs pretty slow.

So I guess my overall question is what do I do? Are there ways to fix my CPU? Is it possible that GarageBand just isn't compatible with my computer?

Thanks,
Simon

G.McGilli

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2015
Depends on what year your computer is from, what processor it is - and how much Ram it has.

Also - the song you got from youtube - how did you do it - and what format is the song in now that you are playing in Garage band? Could be a mix of a super high resolution audio clip with a low power processor etc...

Do another test. you have any mp3 songs? anything in iTunes?

Put one of those in Garage Band and try the same process - just on that song and see what happens.

That will tell you if it's the audio clip you have, or the computer/garageband.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.