Garageband Question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by davidjearly, Jan 18, 2012.

1. davidjearly macrumors 68020

davidjearly

If I have the notes to a certain piano song, is there a way I can program Garageband or similar software to play it?

Thanks.

2. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

Sure, just hit Google for info on how to import a midi file into Garageband. If you're notes aren't in Midi format you might need a Midi keyboard or a program on your computer than can convert it. Depending on what you are trying to do, they are pretty easy solutions.

3. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

I'm just trying to demo something to kids in school. I want them to be able to say press C and then the next note of a song, and for the software to play back the correctly entered notes as the actual music (fluently, and not as typed).

It is for very young children.

4. Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

So you want a midi program that auto corrects the notes to the proper key?

I don't quite understand what you want...Do you want the Kids to try and play something like 'Old MacDonald' and then you want the keyboard to only play the correct notes out of the total notes they played?

Or do you want something like the lighted Casio Keyboards that keys light up for the melody and chords as the song plays so the kids can visually follow along?

5. winterwooskie macrumors newbie

Sounds like what the OP is after is for the correct notes to be 'played' in, but not necessarily as a tune - for example, C D C C E or something, but say with the kid being told what to press each time, and for it to subsequently play it as the desired tune? Could be wrong though.

6. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Basically what I was looking for seems quite difficult to find. Originally, I was looking for the sheet music to a basic Glasgow song 'The Jeely Piece' song, or 'Skyscraper Wean'. It's for teaching a Scottish history lesson.

This seems hard enough to find, so I went in search of an instrumental version, or preferably, a midi file of it.

This is the best I've found: http://www.fortunecity.co.uk/meltingpot/oxford/762/html/body_jeely_piece_song.htm

It would be fairly easy to recreate this song to someone that can play, but without the sheet music, it's hard.

Any ideas on how to help? I ideally would like the instrumental or midi - free or paid.

7. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

Anyone? This is for tomorrow, so any help would be appreciated.

8. danahn17 macrumors 6502

Are you saying you want to take the MIDI file and have it output the actual sheet music (ie the notes that were played)?

If so, maybe this (i never tried it but it was one of the first things I found when i googled around): http://www.notation.com/NotationMusician.php

From my understanding though, you'll need a MIDI file of the song you want. The song linked on the website you shared isn't MIDI so i don't know if it will work...

EDIT- i read your post again and i think i misunderstood. So just disregard everything i just said :)

9. Papanate, Jan 19, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2012

Papanate macrumors 6502

Papanate

That's an odd way of asking for a midi file or sheet music.

So go here...Skyscraper Wean Midi

And here is a score.

[​IMG]

That's someone playing it...I suppose you could use Safari and grab the actually midi file.
    I just used Google and found it in 5 seconds. Is there a reason why you haven't?

10. davidjearly thread starter macrumors 68020

davidjearly

It's not odd at all, as stated before, obtaining the midi or sheet music wasn't my first goal.

In any case, that isn't the whole song, either on sheet or the midi. It's just the first verse.

11. The4sGuy macrumors newbie

Problems

Ive been having problems with garage band lately, i recently got the iPhone 4s and love it. the only problem is that when i make a song in garage band and put it on to my itunes library, it will not let me put the song on my phone. Before when i had the 3GS it did it without problems and just to make sure it wasnt my Mac Book Pro messing up i tried to put the song on my iPod (which was successful) can anyone diagnose the problem and give me a solution?