Garageband question

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by USC96, Dec 5, 2007.

1. USC96 macrumors newbie

USC96

I am running my guitar and mic through an Apogee Duet into an iMac. I'm new to recording and to Macs. Is there a way to run the sound through my computer speakers either live or during playback? I have only been able to listen live through my headphones, which may be the intended function to avoid feedback. However, I am also stuck with using headphones during playback, and that's frustrating.

I have found that if I pull the firewire cord, then it will play through the speakers, but that is a pain. Plus, sometimes that causes an error and shuts down garageband.

Thanks for any insight. :)

2. manosaurus macrumors 6502

manosaurus

You have to define the destination for "input" and "output" in Garageband AND in your system preferences.

Check under the "sound" icon in the system preferences window and choose which devices you want for input and output.

Go to garageband preferences as well and select what devices you want for what under "audio/midi."

3. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

looks like the duet's breakout cable has a pair of outputs for monitoring. connect your computer speakers to that.

4. USC96 thread starter macrumors newbie

USC96

That worked. Thanks. At least now I have the option. :D

5. USC96 thread starter macrumors newbie

USC96

I just have desktop computer speakers with little ipod style jacks. The duet's monitor outs are full sized.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

radio shack.

7. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I was stuck in a position one night... 2 in the morning and realized I needed those converters... no radio shack open, no walmart in manhattan... so the only option was to train it to times square to one of those 24 hour tourist trap electronics stores... $25 buck per converter!!!!:eek: eff'ing criminals:mad:

8. USC96 thread starter macrumors newbie

USC96

Highway robbery. :eek:

Anyway, I got it to work using the first recomended method. I was about to upload something I just recorded and then read all the legal mumbo jumbo when signing up at soundclick and decided since I don't know any original songs, I better not.

That being said, the setup sounds damn good. :D