Garageband recording levels

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mattsb7, Aug 17, 2012.

1. mattsb7 macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm having an issue with my Garageband software. I've read a little bit about this, but I'm not sure I understand what's going on.

I've got a 4-channel mixing board with a condenser mic -- basic set-up. I hook it up to my computer, Garageband recognizes it, I speak into the mic and it registers my voice. What DOESN'T happen -- I don't get any response on the Garageband end. It doesn't register.

The problem, I believe, is that the recording level is grayed out and locked at zero. Can't touch it or the "automatic controls" selection. I never had an issue with this being grayed out before, but now that I've tried to do this, it grays out even after I've disconnected my hardware and am just using the built-in mic -- but in that case, it's grayed at at halfway, so at least it's usable.

What's weirdest of all is that at one point, for seemingly no reason at all, I came back to my computer after having given on trying to figure this out, and the level was no longer grayed out even with my hardware hooked up, but then the next time it was again. Weird.

On top of all that, I can no longer hear anything when I play back a recording from the built-in mic. That wasn't ever a problem before.

Can anyone provide thoughts on what might be going on?

Matthew

2. ShelbyRebecca macrumors newbie

Hey... stupid question.

Are you the Mattsb7 from Match.com?