Garageband slow to open with SSD?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by jazzer15, Jan 20, 2016.

1. jazzer15 macrumors 6502

I was wondering if someone with an SSD on a 2015 iMac and who uses Garageband could tell me how long it takes to open the program. I have a 512GB SSD and I noticed that it can take 7 or 8 "bounces" to open sometimes, while other times it will open after one. Most other things open almost instantaneously, so I was wondering if it is typical of the program.

2. JustMartin macrumors 6502a

Do you have a lot of plugins/instruments to load. My reasonably vanilla Garageband takes two bounces to load and that's on a late 2012 Fusion.

3. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

No, which is why it is a bit perplexing when it does it (which is only sometimes). I just have the standard set installed and I have an empty project as the most recent. Is there a way you know of to completely delete and reinstall the app? It is a new system and I am a little tempted to just do a clean OS install just to see what happens, although it would be a bit of a pain to set everything up again.

4. Erdbeertorte macrumors demi-goddess

It takes less than a second on mine, so almost instantaneously like you said for the other things.

What version of OS X and GarageBand do you have installed?

And what iMac is it? 5K, 4K or the low end 21.5"?

5. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

It's a brand new iMac 5k, i7 running the latest update of El Cap. and the latest Garageband. FWIW, the app runs fine.

6. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

When it's slow, check the Console to see if something else is going on.

7. jazzer15 thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, so just because I didn't have much on the computer yet, I erased the internal SSD and reinstalled the OS. I reinstalled Garageband and it is still showing the same behavior. The program usually opens very quickly if I have opened it recently (maybe it is cached?), but this morning it took 9 bounces to open (not really worth pulling my hair out over, especially since it seems to be running fine otherwise, but it doesn't seem quite right on a new 5K, i7 with the App installed on an internal SSD).

Below is the screenshot from the console. It seems like something isn't quite right, but I don't know enough to understand what this means. If anyone has an idea, it would be helpful.

Of course I can call Apple tech support (and I may), but it can sometimes take a while to get to someone at a high enough level that they might actually be able to help.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

8. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Your caching theory is possible. I've noticed the same thing on other apps, such as MS Office.