Garageband Tempo Help!!!

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by Bonesone4, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Bonesone4 macrumors regular

Hey everyone I recently purchased a DVD full of sound files and loaded them into my itunes. When I open a new project in Garageband, I drag the sound file I want, into the timeline but it slows the tempo of the sound way down. When I change the tempo slider up and down it seems to do nothing. ive searched in preferences and everything and cant figure out why the file is not matching up with the tempo of my project. can anyone help me out? thanks

Michael

2. -Garry- macrumors 6502a

-Garry-

As a test ... load some of the files into iTunes and see have they have 'Tempo' set in their tags. If so, remove them and try GarageBand...

3. Bjonko macrumors newbie

tempo

hey dudes, just on the point of tempo... Can anybody tell me is it possible to have the tempo of one track at 120 and then have another at 60. I am trying to see if I can layer tracks in a more complex way, or more to the point, see how much I can fit into a beat. To do this the tempo must first be slow in order to have time to record everything I want in the beat, but when I put it back to the tempo I would like to hear this specific track at it changes the tempo of the the whole project.

Any solutions!!

4. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Record in one session at a specific tempo, eg 60bpm.
    Bounce to disk.
    Open another session at 120bpm. Do what you have to do, then import the 60bpm track(s).

This is if it's a complex session. If you're just using apple loops and recording the odd track, you could always change the tempo first, record, then bring the tempo back to its original state again.

5. junior macrumors 6502a

junior

Could just mean it's at the wrong sample rate. I have no idea what garageband works at, but if it's 44.1khz and your audio files are 48khz, it may not have the capabilities to convert them properly.
    In iTunes, select the track and then command i (get info).
    See what it says next to Sample Rate. If it says 48, you can try converting the file.
    In iTunes go to preferences.
    Click on Advanced.
    Click on Importing.
    Choose the format you want to convert into. In this case, let's say WAV.
    Click the Setting tab, choose Custom.
    Click on Sample Rate tab, choose 44.100kHz.

Once you've done all that, select the audio file(s) go to 'Advanced' at the top and click on Convert Selection to WAV.
    Now you should have WAV files with the same names as the originals, but at 44.1kHz. Try importing them to garageband and see how it goes.

6. krye macrumors 68000

krye

I think this is an advanced feature only available in Logic. I don't think you can change tempos on the fly or between tracks in GB.

7. fender4723 macrumors newbie

This works!

I had the same problem and THIS WORKED!!!! Thanks so much!