Garageband: Tips for recording guitar riff and making into seamless loop?

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by leverage7, Jul 12, 2007.

1. leverage7 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I recently have been playing around with garageband 3 and attempted to record a guitar loop using the line in as my input. The problem I am having is getting it to sound seamless when I drag the loop to repeat. I can always hear where the loop ends and begins (almost sounds like a static pop sometimes, others it just doesn't sound natural) and I've tried splitting and trimming many times and can not get it to sound seamless. I am using the metronome and am staying in time as far as I can tell. Are there any tips, tricks, or methods to accomplishing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
    Garageband Newbie

2. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

the start and end of your loop should be at a zero crossing. look down to the section called Click and Clack the Edit Brothers.

(i don't use GB, so i don't know how good the waveform edit tools are. this is where pro tools is brilliant)

3. leverage7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I tried to install Pro Tools Free version but it said it wasn't supported when I clicked to install. Are there any free tools where I can do cross-fades and the methods described in your link and re-import into garageband?

Thanks again,
    Ben

4. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Just some advice. I don't use Garageband for any waveform editing because it does some quirky things (it refuses to do anything less than 30 sec, pops and click are noticeable at the end of loops, etc). I use Audacity which is a free basic editor that does quite a good job and then reimport to GB.

5. leverage7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the advice, I'll try audacity when I get home tonight.

6. Rollershapple macrumors regular

I co-sign audacity. Its a very smart idea, and the editing tools are far more advanced and easy to use than GB. Good Luck BTW!

7. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

yeah, it never made the transition to osx. the audacity suggestions are good ones. the waveform editing techniques are universal, you don't necessarily need PT in order to perform them.