Garageband Update

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Harty88, Nov 2, 2013.

1. Harty88 macrumors newbie

I'm having problems updating Garageband to the latest version. I currently have 6.0.5 which came with my mac.

My other two iLife applications updated to the new versions on release but Garageband still doesn't, with the new version showing as free in the mac app store. Any ideas how to update to the full new version, or is my only option to update to the new free version and pay for the extra features? I was under the impression I should receive the full new version having already owned the previous version.

2. bdrake47 macrumors regular

I was in the same situation. It did not show update in the App Store.

Here's what I did, so you can plan a better approach hopefully.

I went ahead and clicked it and it downloaded and installed. Then I realized it just added new version and 6.0.5 was still installed too.

I launched it and quickly discovered that I could get all instruments and loops IF I paid $4.99 for the "extras". I went ahead and did it. Big download!

Then after the last few days, I realized I'm never going to need 6.0.5 anymore so I attempted to remove that from my system. Got most of it off, but saved the folders for loops, etc.

Then I discovered when I relaunched, some stuff WAS missing anyway and GarageBand couldn't find some instruments. A few clicks and errors and asking if I wanted to search for some unreadable filenames, and then it kicked off a download to get and reload the missing items.

All in all, while I think it's great that iLife and iWork are free, it has been a real disappointment in getting everything upgraded. Initially fighting to get updates to show up, and then getting updates and finding all the old versions still eating up a ton of space. Just a very poor implementation from Apple on this one....

While I don't have any advice on how to resolve it for you, at least I can give you a heads up on what's coming. The only thing I can suggest is wait a bit if you can and maybe Apple will fix the upgrade path or someone else on MR will find a better way.