Garageband: What do I need?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DennisMadsen, Oct 22, 2010.

1. DennisMadsen macrumors regular

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It sure looks like you can now. That's how it was in the keynote as far as I could tell.

3. jackerin macrumors 6502a

That's how I hooked up my first MIDI keyboard 5 years ago now, so that feature has been present for quite a while ;)

Personally I would recommend the 61-key version, I had the 49-key myself and beside the spongy feel to the keys (though that won't bother you as much if you haven't felt a better keyboard), and if you take it up as a more serious hobby you will quickly feel restricted with only 49 keys.

4. HappyDude20 macrumors 68020

HappyDude20

I have a keyboard from like 95', without any inputs such as USB...would I still able to play the piano in Garageband and perhaps have the microphone on my MBP be turned on for the program to follow my playing? Or something similar?

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

If your keyboard has MIDI-out you can get a cheap MIDI-to-USB interface.
    The piano (and other sounds) in Garageband are actually samples residing on your harddrive. When you press a key on your MIDI keyboard it triggers the corresponding sample and it plays like any other normal sound from your computer. You don't need a microphone to record it.