garageband

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by joehess24, Nov 28, 2010.

1. joehess24 macrumors newbie

Hey whats goin on guys. Just recently bought a macbook pro 13 inch laptop and love it. didnt really know where else to post this, but i was on garageband making a rap/hiphop song and i was wondering if there was a way to increase tempo for just ONE individual track, say my hi hats. for example, my drum sound at 120 for my tempo, i would like my hi hats at 240, but only for the hi hat track and not the whole song. Ask me any questions you have about my post. suggestions? thanks.

joe.

2. LukeHarrison macrumors regular

LukeHarrison

Just double the amount of hi-hats, go from (for example) quavers to semi-quavers (or if you're an American, quarter notes to eight notes).

3. joehess24 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you luke. How exactly do you do that? im not too familiar with garageband haha.

4. gooberguy macrumors member

gooberguy

if they are midi notes you are going to have to move the notes closer, becase gb does not have a stretch/shrink function.

or you can export that, bring it into a new gb file with the right tempo, then change the tempo. the one file will shrink, and you can export it back out again

5. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Copy only the hi-hat from the drum track (assuming it's midi), paste onto a duplicate drum track, then with all notes selected, hold in alt and move the hits to the right, doubling them.

6. joehess24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried doing this and i couldnt copy my hi hat track into the track i want to use. for example "my song 2" contained my hi hats at the right tempo i wanted, but i could not transfer the hi hats from "my song 2" into "my song 1." My song 1 is the song i want to use. i have three or four other tracks in my song 1, i just wanted to use the hi hats with a faster tempo on my song 1. sorry if that was confusing hahaha.

7. M87 macrumors 65816

You should stop thinking of it in terms of tempo, the tempo is still the same you just want twice as many hi-hats. As someone else has already explained, you could simply copy the existing hi-hat notes, paste them into the same midi event starting on the second beat or whatever it is you want and you should be done. You don't need to transfer the midi file to a new project or whatever you're trying to do.

8. joehess24 thread starter macrumors newbie

I agree i need to get twice as many hihats but i do not know how to do what your saying. Im maybe a week into garageband this is my first ever experience on garageband. Its garageband eleven.

9. jackerin macrumors 6502a

Make a drum track with the same settings in my song 1, then go to my song 2, select the hi-hat section and copy. Close and go back to my song 1, mark the drum track and paste. (This assumes you have the same tempo settings on the two song files.)

Protip: copy and paste can be found in the "Edit"-menu.

10. 3paulx macrumors member

create new project for you hi-hat, set it on the desired tempo then lay your track in after that, convert it to mp3, then drag the file to a separate track on your project with all the other tracks u made.

hope that makes sense.

11. joehess24 thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you. i created a new project for my hi hats, i set the tempo at 240, then i saved it as a loop? opened up my first project, tried to incorporate the hi hat loop into my song, but instead of the tempo being 240 like i set them in my second project, it automatically changed it to 120! this is confusing haha.

12. jackerin macrumors 6502a

That is because the bpm of loops are automatically adjusted to the track tempo.

I'm not sure I can make it any clearer than this.

Attached Files:

13. 3paulx macrumors member

hmmmm try not saving it as a loop. Just save it as mp3 file on your desktop then drag the mp3 file to another track in your original project (with 120bpm).