Garageband?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by James Godfrey, Feb 20, 2013.

1. James Godfrey macrumors regular

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has noticed this and know why its happening...

I mix music for dance performances using garageband and I think it is great, i understand that when mixing tracks the tracks volume should be lowered to ensure that the lights are in the green and avoiding the amber/red to save clipping. i also know to check the master volume lights for the same.

However, after mixing a track and creating an iTunes Plus file, if I re-import the mixed track back into garageband, as a new project suddenly the lights go in the red again... why is this if (when mixed) the track never went into the red at all.

Thanks

James

2. switon macrumors 6502a

RE: normalization...

Hi James,

I don't know if this is your problem or not, but often when exporting a track from GarageBand you are asked it it should be normalized. If you answer yes (and there may be a preference that can be set to always normalize exported tracks), then your track's volume is normalized (the average value of the volume is set and all volumes are multiplied by a constant factor) upon export. Thus when you read this exported track back into GarageBand, its volume will not be the same as the original track, rather its volume will be the normalized volume.

Perhaps this is what you are noticing?

Regards,
    Switon