Garageband2

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Aikido Kid, Jan 13, 2011.

1. Aikido Kid macrumors newbie

I know it's an old program but since I've picked up the "Missing Manual" I have lost sleep and my girlfriend hates how much time I am spending with the program. On the other hand my band loves it!

The question: How do I delete old songs that I have recorded?:confused:

I can't drag it to the trash bin, I can't right click the title for a delete option and when I'm in the program I can't just delete a song. I find it rather strange that the book missed this step. I mean not everything you record is worth keeping later on right?!

Any ideas?

2. Aikido Kid thread starter macrumors newbie

I looked up on google to see if this question has been posted by others and it has. So now my question is where do UI go to find the files? Just look through "Finder"?

3. simsaladimbamba

Can you point to the solution you found?
    And yes, Finder is the application to use to locate files and delete them. Maybe Spotlight (CMD+Space) or the Search (CMD+F while in Finder) can help.
    They normally should be located in Macintosh HD / Users / aikidokid / Music / GarageBand .

4. Fishrrman macrumors G3

Think of the "song files" that you create in GarageBand as you would any other file (such as a text file) you would create.

For example, once you have created a short text file using TextEdit, you can no longer delete the file "from inside of" TextEdit. Instead, you have to go to the Finder, locate the file, drag it to the trash, and then empty the trash.

Works the same with GarageBand. When you start a new project, GB will ask you where you want to save it. Once you have "created" the file, it now exists as a project file "in the realm of the Finder", and you need to use the Finder to actually delete it.

Just drag the project to the trash and empty the trash.

By the way, the project files that GB creates (the default name is "My Song" until you give it your own name) are not actually single "files". Instead, they are "packages" that contain various elements. To illustrate this, RIGHT-click on any GB project and choose "Show Package Contents". Then you can actually see the audio clips and other information that gets combined into the actual project you see onscreen.