GarageSale Ghosts Remain!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BruceEBonus, Dec 28, 2007.

1. BruceEBonus macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

I recently installed a newer version of GarageSale by iwascoding.com and uninstalled it after entering some basic eBay type info.

Then I uninstalled it by dragging the Application icon to the Trash .. as ye do.

Then for reasons best left unmentioned ... I then reinstalled my older version.

It told me that the details of the newer auction info still remained so could not reinstall an older version.

My question is this:
    How can I totally remove all references to this program so its existence is not redetected on reinstallation?.

Bloke from the AppleStore said I should venture into Library/Applications and remove any bits in there! There were no bits to find. Help!.

What am I doing wrong, readers?

2. bentley macrumors 6502

type into spotlight garagesale and delete any related files that pop up.

3. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Thanks.Yes, I did that but no success.Nowt relevant at all.Gawd knows how it knows a previous version been on. Fetch Miss Marples!

4. r88my macrumors regular

You could try using this program call appcleaner which deletes any applications you drag into it and their associated data so you don't have to manually search yourself. Its quite a good/simple program and its free. There's a paid alternative call appzapper that gives you five free deletes before the demo inactivates.

Here is the link for appcleaner

http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/

5. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

well, if this turns out to be true, maybe it wrote something into the system "registry-like" stuff(I don't even know if OSX has a thing like that, lol). That would be very annoying.

What I would suggest is to use OnyX, try to clear the system cache, see if that helps.

Finally, I strongly suggest using the uninstaller provided by the app itself whenever possible. Drag and Uninstall is not a healthy way for many apps. Be careful

6. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

7. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Here is the link for appcleaner

http://www.freemacsoft.net/AppCleaner/[/QUOTE]

Now then I found and installed this program.. but the only thing is that I cant work out HOW to uninstall stuff .. its not as intuitive as the icons infer! And theres no Help File... HELP!!!! :eek:

8. r88my macrumors regular

Now then I found and installed this program.. but the only thing is that I cant work out HOW to uninstall stuff .. its not as intuitive as the icons infer! And theres no Help File... HELP!!!! :eek:[/QUOTE]

Drag garagesale into the appcleaner window... it should come up with a list of files associated with garagesale that need deleting as well as the application itself. Then click on the red "X". Or you can click on the application icon in appcleaner and it will give you a list of all the apps on your mac... choose garagesale from there and click the red "X".

Hope this helps

9. Lixivial macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

You should be able to remove its supporting directory:

1. Open your home directory
    2. Open Library
    3. Open Application Support
    4. Move the GarageSale directory to the Trash

Yeah, that's why the drag-n-install is both a blessing and a curse. Drag and uninstall deletes the app, but not the supporting files. For some, this gives a false sense of "completion."

10. BruceEBonus thread starter macrumors 6502a

BruceEBonus

Thanks for that .. I did all that .. but no trace of GarageSale in the Library either .. nae worries .. Im gonna get a legitimate copy instead now ;)

However ... can you recommend any little applications that help to trace junk files on yer mac that have no discernible purpose?

Thanks