GarageSale or iSale or something else for ebay?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by majordude, Aug 1, 2011.

1. majordude macrumors 68020

majordude

I need to sell some stuff. What is best for ebay?

(And on a side note, I am old school, is there something better than ebay?)

2. willpower101 macrumors regular

garage sale looks better so far imho, havent' tried either, just looking at features, updates, and screenshots.

3. BBC B 32k macrumors 6502

I have used iSale for years. Got it in a MacHeist bundle for cheap. Always found it about OK. Have had lots of little issues with it but it has always worked in the end.
    Text editing is a pain. No iCloud integration only mobileMe. Can not seem to do 'good till cancelled' listings. Duplicating listing to has bugs.
    I am thinking of giving Garage Sale a go. Will report back my findings.

4. InfoTime macrumors 6502

eBay has come a long way with their tools. About 9 years ago I did a lot of selling on eBay. I had subscribed to a 3rd party management service to get it all done - auctionwatch.com I think. Nowadays everything that service did is all built in to eBay and PayPal.

I couldn't be as efficient without a VM running Windows. I use UPS Worldship with a Smart Pickup service and label printer. Also print labels for USPS Priority Mail shipments on my Dymo label printer using PayPal's web based Multi-Order Shipping Tool - only works with Internet Explorer (the label printing part).

I've gotten pretty proficient with iPhoto and Firefox to create listings. Although I think I might check out Garage Sale too now that I've seen this thread.

5. James Craner macrumors 68000

James Craner

I was in the same situation and went with GarageSale, has been a good Application and allows images to be stored on their server rather than eBay which saves a little on listing fees. Has some great looking templates as well and I think the reporting options are better than iSale.

6. InfoTime macrumors 6502

Wow! GarageSale is really nice. You can try it for free, up to 3 posted auctions. I spent some time with it last night posting my first auction with it. Very impressive.

Like how my auction looks with the template I picked - much better looking than the standard eBay templates. Managing existing auctions is very smooth too, makes managing them through a web browser feel lame.

7. george-brooks macrumors 6502a

george-brooks

Never tried iSale but I use GarageSale often and am very happy with it. Wish some of the layouts were more customizable, but its much easier to use in general than eBay's own interface and creates some really slick looking auctions. I'm not a power seller or anything, I maybe sell 10 items a year, but my non-scientific analysis seems to show that I have increased sales and final values with GarageSale over a plain looking auction and it is WAYYYY easier to post multiple similar items than on eBay's own auction builder. The full version is certainly a good value for $40 if you will be using it often. It will save you a lot of time and rake in more cash.

Edit:
    As for your question if there is anything better than eBay, my simple answer is no. The main crappy thing about eBay is how much money they take from you. Usually I will list an item on eBay and Craigslist simultaneously with a slightly higher price on CL. If it sells on CL I just take it off eBay and I have myself more money and less hassle. If it doesn't sell in the 7 days on CL then I've still made most of my money on eBay. Be sure to mention you're selling locally too so your eBay customers won't be too pissed when you remove your auction.

8. SKTHEPREZ macrumors member

Old fashioned

Maybe I'm old fashioned or just cheap, but I'd rather save my money and list through Safari or Firefox. Ebay stepped it up lately.

9. Ifti macrumors 68000

eBay doesn't seem to support macs very well. I use Safari to list items and I have to try over and over sometimes. I get to the listing review page and it keeps asking me to login over and over. I then have to close Safari, reopen, and go through the process again for it to work!

I'm probably going to try GarageSale. Although I only lost the odd item now and again, I have £200 in credit on the mac store, may as well use some of it on something! Lol