Garbage Airport Performance

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by NavySEAL6, Aug 25, 2009.

1. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

My house isn't very big, but also isnt small. I recently put a time capsule downstairs, and an airport express upstairs. Theyre configured on the same network and the airport express is configured to extend the wireless connection. This leads me to believe that there should be pretty good coverage throughout my house. I performed a speed test, next to my airport express I'm pulling something like 18 mbps...in my room which is literally only about 20-25 steps away I'm only getting around 3 mbps and sometimes even under 1 mbps! Whats the reason for such a poor range, especially on a network with 2 devices broadcasting a signal? My telephone is 5.8 Ghtz btw so I dont think thats part of the problem

2. belvdr macrumors 603

When you extend a wireless network, you effectively halve the throughput for each device that is extending it. Not only that, but it's a half duplex connection.

3. rkdiddy macrumors 65816

rkdiddy

NavySEAL -

Are you connected via the 5ghz connection?

4. NavySEAL6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I have both a 5GHTZ and a 2.4GHTZ channel selected, using channels 48 and 3 right now. I dont know how to tell if I'm actually using the 5GHTZ connection or not. And belvdr...dont really understand what thats supposed to mean for me, maybe you can explain it differently

5. SqB macrumors 6502

The express can only extend one of the channels at a time, either the 5ghz or the 2.4. You might want to make sure that you've got the express set up to extend the 5ghz. You can tell by looking for "(5 Ghz)" after your network name when you connect. Also, depending on the construction of your house, the distance might be an issue. WIFI is not as good at penetrating floor to floor as its is room to room.

6. belvdr macrumors 603

Let's say you are able to get the full 300 Mb (i.e. bandwidth) from your AP. When you extend that wireless network, the throughput would drop to 150 Mb possible. Now getting 300 Mb is impossible due to overhead, but it gives you the general idea. Also, your 5.8 Ghz phone operates in the same region as 802.11n. What if you unplug the batteries from it? Does the performance improve?

7. NavySEAL6 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well I just figured out I didnt have the 5Ghtz network on, so I turned that on and it helped performance a little bit. Now, I have an airport express upstairs that my computer is only about 50 feet away from, on the same floor. Somehow that connection is slower then when I plug in a linksys to the TC thats all the way downstairs..I get a better connection on the linksys even though its much further from my computer than the airport express.

Also I dont see where I can check to make sure the AX is extending the 2.4 or 5, how do I change that?

And I understand what you mean belvdr, however my computer is only capable of 802.11G so I dont know if the phone is a problem, but I'm gonna test that out more tomorrow. If it is the problem, what kind of cordless phone do you need to get?