Garbled Lists in Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by lugesm, Aug 17, 2011.

1. lugesm macrumors 6502a

lugesm

In an earlier post I reported that some text lines in LISTS in the Finder are sometimes garbled under Lion. Other users reported similar problems with LISTS.

Just installed 10.7.1 - - - hoping the problem was fixed.
    NO. The problem remains.

Anyone else seeing this problem now ?

2. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Graphic Tearing

I have seen this issue as well. The interesting thing about this issue is that I only can get it to happen in finder. I can reproduce it if I open ~/Library/Preferences and scroll up and down in the finder window in the column mode. I don't see the graphic tearing in any applications that I have run. I have opened a case with Apple to hopefully resolve the issue.

3. lugesm thread starter macrumors 6502a

lugesm

Confirm . . . I, too, have only seen it in Finder.

Glad you opened a case with Apple. I think I will add my input by opening a second case with Apple.

Maybe if enough of us complain, this will get fixed in 10.7.2.

4. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I searched the Apple support forums and I could not find any discussions on the graphic tearing in finder. I did see the other discussion here though.

5. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I had Snow Leopard installed on a external hard drive. I booted into Snow Leopard on my iMac. I could not get the graphic tearing to occur. I have relayed this to Apple.

6. managenet macrumors newbie

Same issue here - 27" iMac, 10.7.1 - I'll open case

Thanks for posting about this - nice to know it isn't' just me ;) Easily reproduce-able in lists in Finder, but I also have not observed it in file lists in application dialogs.

7. makingmusic macrumors regular

Same problem! Only in Finder and occurs when I'm fast scrolling. I have to scroll away or resize window to make it go away. Called Apple Care and they had me make an apt at Genius Bar. They couldn't reproduce and have now ordered a new video card. I kept saying that it only happened in finder so it can't be a video card! Found this thread after I started my own with a picture.

Has anyone found any mention of this by Apple. The Genius Bar guys won't reference this site! I hate to haul my iMac back to the store if this is an OS issue!

8. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I don't have the case number with me. I will post it when I get home later. Apple is aware of the issue as engineering as stated it to the senior level advisor I am in contact with. You can give the Apple advisor the case number as a reference.

9. makingmusic macrumors regular

Not sure if we can share emails, Taz, but if you don't want to post Case ID, email me at shirleylacroix@mac.com. I REALLY appreciate this as they wouldnt let me speak to a Sr. Advisor.

10. Taz Mangus, Sep 2, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2011

Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

Everytime I wanted to speak with a senior level advisor all I had to was say I wanted to speak with one. You need to demand if they push back. I don't have a problem posting the case number.

EDIT: The case that I have opened with Apple is 235237535. This is what the senior advisor sent me in an e-mail regarding this issue: The issue that we are seeing is affecting some Lion users in Finder in list view. I don't think I will be violating any sort of confidental agreement by posting this. I have had senior level advisors look at internet sites that have reported issues to be aware of what other people have been reporting.

11. makingmusic macrumors regular

Thanks, Taz. I called Apple Care back today and asked to speak to Sr. Advisor. The advisor remotely accessed my computer so she could take pictures of the scrambled text in Finder. However, I also shared that it has happened in both List and Column view. I did share your Case ID with my Sr. Advisor so maybe the two can compare notes. If you are in touch with your tech, my Case ID is 242-420-772. However, my advisor said I would probably not hear back until after the holiday weekend. She suggested that I let the Apple Store order the new video card in case they decide that is what I need. However, I will not have it installed until I hear back from the Sr. Advisor team. Good luck!

12. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

I know its not a graphic card issue with my iMac as I booted into Snow Leopard and the issue did not happen. I let my senior level advisor know this and he agreed with me that the issue is not a hardware problem.

13. iMac-convert macrumors newbie

I have exactly the same problem with my new iMac. I haven't seen the problem in any other windows only in Finder. It's annoying! What should I do? Open yet another case to Apple support or wait for some update?

14. pawtracks macrumors regular

Same exact issue here.
    A little better if you turn "use smooth scrolling" off in system preferences, general, but still there.
    Does not repeat in clean install of snow leopard.

My AppleCare rep wanted me to haul it in and have a new video card installed.
    I think I will wait it out...this is a Lion software issue

2011 3.4 i7, 256GB SSD, 1TB, 6970 2GB, 10.7.1 (clean install)

15. makingmusic macrumors regular

Looks like all of us with this problem seem to have the 2011 27" iMac. I suspect it has something to do with our video cards since I don't see any other users reporting the issue. I'm waiting for my Apple Care advisor to get back to me about the need for a new video card. In the meantime, I did get a call from the Genius Bar telling me my card has arrived but I've convinced them to hold until 10/11 while I wait for the Apple Guru's to figure this out.

16. cstreater macrumors newbie

When this happened to me, I opened the Console Log viewer and I'm able to reproduce it in there as well. Anyone else? I was just about to pack this thing up and take it into the store, fearing I had a bad video card or something, but it's so HEAVY :p

17. iMac-convert macrumors newbie

It seems to happen if you quick scroll up and down in the list view of Finder.
    I called Apple's support and they had me do the 'clean boot' (with 4 keys pressed) right after that I couldn't see it but after 2 minutes it was back again.