Garbled Text in iWork -- Font-Specific

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by simplebeep, Jan 11, 2012.

1. simplebeep macrumors member

simplebeep

Hi all!

This is a particularly perplexing problem: I just installed a new solid state disk in my computer, and cloned the system over as a whole. Everything works better than perfectly, except for iWork.

I first noticed this when I tried to open a Pages document in the font Chaparral Pro. All the letters were completely garbled up and meaningless, and the spacing was entirely horrific. I initially thought my old document was corrupted when I created a new Pages document (defaulting to Helvetica) and was able to type OK. But I switched the new document to Chaparral Pro and it became equally garbled; switching the old document to Helvetica likewise brought all my typing back from the dead, so to speak.

See the attached screenshots for the frightening visuals.
    Garblement.jpg

This isn't an urgent problem per se, as I can use other applications in the meantime (TextEdit, InDesign, FountainPen and Chrome all handle all my fonts just fine). In addition, this problem persists in all accounts on my computer, preëxisting and newly-created alike. It happens in all the iWork applications, but none others. It also happens in the majority of the fonts I like to use, but not any that would come bundled with the system---in my un-scientific prodding it seems to be related to OpenType, but I can't be exactly sure about that.

Thanks for any help!

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Open Font Book and validate your fonts, to make sure none are corrupted.

3. simplebeep thread starter macrumors member

simplebeep

Holy crap, I bow to your genius.

I ran a validation, and three fonts reported problems, though not any I normally use. Nevertheless, I moved them to the Desktop and restarted---ping! all my other fonts are back to normal in Pages. Who knew?

Infinite thanks to you, GGJstudios! :D