garbled text when copying and pasting...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ryans79, May 28, 2009.

1. ryans79 macrumors regular

Hello!

Im kind of getting used to my new (second hand) Mac, although as a long time windows user some things still do puzzle me, thanks to this place though the list is getting smaller as they days go by :)

Having a strange problem, while waitin for my hardcopy of "beginning iphone development" I am using the "pdf version", problem is when i copy and paste text from the pdf file into either textedit or xcode, i get garbled text.

Heres and example, from the PDF, I shall copy and paste
    The default implementation of this method looks at interfaceOrientation and

this is the actual paste, no edits:
    8LI#HIJEYPX#MQTPIQIRXEXMSR#SJ#XLMW#QIXLSH#PSSOW#EX#MRXIVJEGI3VMIRXEXMSR#ERH#

Furthermore, some text just does not paste at all, i get the paste option but when i click it... nothing happens...

Any ideas whats going on?

°°

2. mogallin macrumors member

Looks to me like what you computer is doing is copying the text as it is represented binary, with additions for formatations which the target program can't read. Don't know why it's doing it or how to solve it though.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

You might want to see if there's an option to paste (or copy) as plain text. Without seeing the PDF it's hard to say for certain. Could be a binary issue or it could be a text encoding issue.

4. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for replying guys.
    I wouldnt mind uploading the page... but i dont know if its ever possible to upload just a page, and i cant find the address to where i downloaded the whole book:(

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

A quick way to extract a page is to open the PDF in Preview and go to print it and tell it to do only the one page, then print as PDF.

6. ryans79 thread starter macrumors regular

That... i know, I meant post it in its original form here so you more experienced guys would know what to do, im just beginning to get the hang of the Mac, while you guys are more like (no disrespect meant) Mac-heads :D
    so if anyone figures this out, its likely to be you.