Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

112151-garmin_logo.jpg

The Kansas City Star reports that GPS firm Garmin has abandoned its initiative with ASUS to offer Garmin-branded mobile phones, although the two companies will continue a partnership to offer Garmin GPS software on ASUS-branded phones. The shift opens the door for Garmin to offer its GPS software on other platforms such as Apple's iOS.
"We obviously didn't want to compete against ourselves," Myers said.

But now that it's getting out of the cell-phone manufacturing business, Garmin is exploring the development of software that could work in Apple and RIM devices. Myers said it was unclear when the company might introduce applications for the different operating systems.
Garmin has been one of the only holdouts on the iPhone among the major GPS companies, with others like TomTom and Magellan embracing the platform for their turn-by-turn services with an array of applications.

Article Link: Garmin Considering Developing GPS Applications for iOS

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
I love Garmin's stuff, but I must say that their business decision to produce their own phone was a bit misguided (even when they started the project they were a bit late to the party).

Now Garmin will be late to the iOS party for GPS. If Garmin was one of my choices 15 months ago, I probably would have purchased their app based on familiarity with their interface. They are going to have to do something really unique to get me to fork over a load of cash when I already own Navigon's app.

vertigo235

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2009
I love Garmin's stuff, but I must say that their business decision to produce their own phone was a bit misguided (even when they started the project they were a bit late to the party).

Now Garmin will be late to the iOS party for GPS. If Garmin was one of my choices 15 months ago, I probably would have purchased their app based on familiarity with their interface. They are going to have to do something really unique to get me to fork over a load of cash when I already own Navigon's app.

I agree 100%.

Too late to the party for me too, NAVIGON is great.

carlgo

macrumors 68000
Dec 29, 2006
Monterey CA
How about one for the iPad? Big screen would allow for better viewing of course, and also iTunes art and info would be easier to see.

Making it work alongside an iPhone would be the final touch. You would want it to drop the sound automatically during calls and hopefully display phone info on the screen at the same time.

This would make for a good excuse to buy both a phone and a pad...!

Having a dedicated in-car iPad system for all of your automotive needs would be cool, then of course you take the iPad into your destination lodging and you have a nice small travel computer as well.

Fafafoooey

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
USA
Late

Sheesh Garmin, they are way late to the game. If they had offered a GPS app early on at a decent price, I would have bought their, since I like their interface.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Yes! This will be great for my trips to Central America since the others don't have the maps :D

lowbatteries

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2008
way too late

Garmin, take a lesson from Amazon. If someone buys a Kindle, they win. If someone buys an iPad and downloads the Kindle app, they win.

Shutting yourself out of such a huge market for so long was a stupid decision.

spillproof

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2009
USA
Where have they been!? Visiting their 100,000+ locations that are wrong or not around anymore?

Better late then never, I guess.

PS. Garmin sucks. IMO

CTYankee

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
....with others like TomTom and Magellan embracing the platform for their turn-by-turn services with an array of applications.....

Magellan? Really? They skinned someone else's app, released a few flavors, then abandoned the development (still no iOS4 update) after making many promises here and in other forums that updates were coming 'soon'.

Garmin may be late to the game, but it is now a 2 man game (TomTom and Navigon). Sure people probably have settled on their GPS app of choice, but a highly polished and well priced app from Garmin can get many of these users to give them a shot.

May 8, 2008
I hope they get on this sooner rather than later. I'd love to be able to sell my stand alone Garmin and get their app.

mikesjo

macrumors regular
Nov 29, 2005
Vancouver, B.C.
They make some great GPS devices for athletes though. Cyclists, runners, etc. I have one of their devices for cycling. Tracks everything heart rate, cadence, etc with some of them even showing maps for directions.

GrammyPuter

macrumors newbie
Dec 23, 2009
How about one for the iPad?

How about one for the iPad? Big screen would allow for better viewing of course, and also iTunes art and info would be easier to see.

I totally agree. I am looking to develop incident tracking and correct GPS coords would be great. I hope the next version of iOS supports hooking up a GPS to an iPad.

:)

kidtrailboss

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2010
Garmin makes great hardware, but notoriously crappy software especially for the Mac. For every one of Garmin's app's someone else is doing it better. For years they have done the bare minimum if anything on the Mac side with their software. They bring nothing to the table here.

elppa

macrumors 68040
Nov 26, 2003
They make some great GPS devices for athletes though. Cyclists, runners, etc. I have one of their devices for cycling. Tracks everything heart rate, cadence, etc with some of them even showing maps for directions.

I agree. And not doubt sponsoring a professional cycling team with whom they can collaborate with helps. And Garmin Connect rocks.

Ape_Man

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2005
Maybe they will bring something great to navigation on the iPad.

I do a lot of touring and would love to be able to draw a line from where I am to where I want to go right on the screen.

I think it would be great if I could roughly draw a touring route on a map and then the app would work out what roads I was trying to trace. Then 'presto' new route planned.

Make it pinch-able, rotatable and responsive (unlike Tom Tom) and I would part with a considerable amount of money.

Redline13

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2004
Magellan? Really? They skinned someone else's app, released a few flavors, then abandoned the development (still no iOS4 update) after making many promises here and in other forums that updates were coming 'soon'.

Garmin may be late to the game, but it is now a 2 man game (TomTom and Navigon). Sure people probably have settled on their GPS app of choice, but a highly polished and well priced app from Garmin can get many of these users to give them a shot.

Whose app did Magellan re-skin? I hadn't heard that.

BTW I wouldn't characterize it as a two man game. I use MotionX GPS Drive and I am very satisfied.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Whose app did Magellan re-skin? I hadn't heard that.

BTW I wouldn't characterize it as a two man game. I use MotionX GPS Drive and I am very satisfied.

I use both MontionX's GPS apps. Their sports app and drive apps are good and getting better all the time.

Ted13

macrumors 6502a
Dec 29, 2003
NYC
What's holding up iPad apps from Tom Tom & Co.?

The only one with an iPad app is MotionX, and unlike the above posters I'm anything but satisfied. No preloaded maps -- try using that someplace with abysmal AT&T service like New Mexico as we last did. And we got sent to the wrong place twice -- their data is far from accurate.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
What's holding up iPad apps from Tom Tom & Co.?

The only one with an iPad app is MotionX, and unlike the above posters I'm anything but satisfied. No preloaded maps -- try using that someplace with abysmal AT&T service like New Mexico as we last did. And we got sent to the wrong place twice -- their data is far from accurate.

With any of the non-preload GPS apps you have to do some planning and cache your maps before you leave on your trip.

hissyfit

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2009
oh well...

These companies should realize that the point of apps on devices like the iPhone is to help people who don't want to have to schlep a lot of weight around while traveling. Unfortunately, I recently changed from Garmin to Tom Tom for a few reasons so, sucks for them. :apple:

motohooligan

macrumors newbie
Oct 6, 2009
Garmin's last ditch effort to survive. Amazing it's taking them this long to get on board.

Garmin's fate does not rest with an iPhone/iPad app. They have quite a few products that are very good at what they do. Sure their smartphone didn't succeed, but that was never really going to make or break the company. They offer a range of products that iPhone will never replace.

I would welcome a Garmin app, but it still wouldn't replace my handheld Oregon GPSr or my Nuvi.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
i love Garmin products.

Yes, they are late for city navigation, but most of the folks are forgetting a few huge possibilities (ie. for hiking, hunting, geocaching, boating etc...) , I don't think they are late and even if they are, they can provide some great topographic mapping situations.

I use a Rino 530 HcX for hunting and hiking and it's fantastic. I'd be very interested in an iPhone version even though for some of my hunting excursions, i'm in no cell reception whatsoever. For other areas, it would be perfect.

Nothing like knowing exactly where you are on the planet at any given time and if you're about to walk yourself into a tight spot.

Cheers,
Keebler

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.