Garmin GPSMAP 64s versus Oregon 650

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by waloshin, Jan 19, 2014.

1. waloshin macrumors 68040

waloshin

Are there any advantages to the GPSMAP 64s over the Oregon 650 other then the external antenna and physical buttons?

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I've had them both but passed on the 64 to someone else a few years ago, before getting the Oregon, so I can't do a side-by-side. And obviously my 64 was an older model -- 2005, as I remember.

I like the Oregon's display, but I'm not crazy about the touchscreen. It's OK, but the UI is clunky.

I think if I were going seriously into back country, I'd take the 64. It seems more rugged to me (but I can't back that up with anything except subjective feeling). But for day hiking or various tasks, the Oregon is excellent, and it does drop into a jacket pocket or fannypack very easily.

No matter which way you go, don't spend money on the "t" models. Excellent topo maps are available for free, on the web, and they're easily downloaded and installed. Legal, too -- so far as I can tell.

3. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

Thanks for the information!

The Gpsmap 64s is a 2014 just announced a few days ago:
    https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-the-trail/handhelds/gpsmap-64s/prod140022.html

4. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

I was thinking about it a bit more. If you expect to be rained on or snowed on or in muddy conditions, the 64 would be better, I think. There's nothing wrong with the Oregon's weatherproofing, but its shape is going to let it slip from your hand more easily.

The 64's style gives you more to hang onto.

And I was wrong about having a 64. It was a 62.

5. waloshin thread starter macrumors 68040

waloshin

That is true. And I would assume with the bigger attenna that the 64 would have better coverage.